For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Material

Material

Postby TattieBoJangle » 29 Dec 2016, 02:19

Trying to get going again after x-mas but something is driving me crazy its the prepare folder for skyline :twisted:

The problem is when using the prepare it spits out every single material even if you have taken the time to set them up

Texture_D
Texture_N
Texture_S

As you can see in the video below it makes .material for everything even if the textures don't exist in the directory any chance of fixing this even a check box to only do material that is in the folder.

Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Re: Material

Postby SolarPortal » 30 Dec 2016, 13:00

Hey Tattie, hope you are enjoying your xmas holidays :D Just come on today for first time to respond to some posts :)

I'm not quite following properly, but what we do see is that you still use the bottom checkbox from the prepare options dialog.
This will cause a material to be created from the diffuse textures on top of the ones exported from the FBX converter.
Using this generated material from texture means you need to apply the materials to every model and bake them back to have them use the correct materials.

What i would suggest is too leave the bottom checkbox "unchecked" on the folder prepare and try again, as the last work done to the prepare folder, made it so the materials exported from the FBX converter look for similar texture names to ensure they dont come in white.

If we look at what you are asking, there are a couple of things:
  • You dont want the FBX converter to create materials for you...
  • You dont want the FBX converter to export the textures again?
  • Finally, if a material references a texture that doesn't exist, then dont export the material....

Is this correct? or could you reclarify a bit :)

I look forward to hearing from you :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer

Postby TattieBoJangle » 30 Dec 2016, 19:35

What i would suggest is too leave the bottom checkbox "unchecked"

Hi m8 yeah was a good crimbo thanks hope you's had a good one also the reason I am doing the checkbox is I am changing the texture format converting them all to dds but also on top of that some files the texture names are different :lol:
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 30 Dec 2016, 21:34

yeah, we had a good crimbo... sort of missed xmas day due to too much alchohol intake in xmas eve :lol: :lol:

As for the prepare, this is the work we did i thought as we made it so the FBX converter looked for a texture name that was similar and of different extensions. Give it a go and see if it works for you with the checkbox unchecked lol :P

If the texture names are different by adding an _D or _Diff, then it shouldnt be a problem. if they have changed significantly, then i can see the dilemma. We should be getting back into things in the next couple of weeks m8 :D
Unless its that bad, then we can think of taking a look sooner :)

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby TattieBoJangle » 31 Dec 2016, 20:11

No rush m8 ill work with it and find a workflow that works.
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 31 Dec 2016, 20:33

As long as you can continue m8 :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Feature Requests