For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Editor 3D View requests

Editor 3D View requests

Postby SpiderMack » 25 Sep 2017, 22:07

Hi,

I have some requests about the 3D View to ease working in the editor, the firsts ones are the more important.

1) Shift + RMB down and mouse move to pan the view (like many other 3D) software

2) Perspectove and Orthogonal camera switching icon or key function
Orthogonal view is incredibly usefull to precisely place 3D objects in space instead of moving camera in all sides

3) Quick icon or key to move camera directly near the selected object in the scene or object selected in the scene entity list

4) Small Gizmo to quickly switch between perspective or top, down, sides views, it's very usefull when needing to do precise placement.

5) Press space to switch between move , rotate and scale object functions (Unreal like).
Sometimes a key press to cycle between tools is faster than move and click with mouse.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Scripter

Re: Editor 3D View requests

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Sep 2017, 09:51

1) Shift + RMB down and mouse move to pan the view (like many other 3D) software

We are planning this as a middle mouse click for most of the editors or features that need panning. e.g. main editor, visual module graph etc...

Orthogonal view is incredibly usefull to precisely place 3D objects in space instead of moving camera in all sides

haha, find it funny that you mention it also. We have been wanting to implement orthoganol for 2D Skyline. But it would also be useful as you say. Not sure on timeframe at the moment though.. lots to do and little time to do them :P
However, to help speed up your development and placement, you can hold the alt key while an entity is selected to orbit around it, and the holding alt while moving the gizmo will move the camera with the entity in the scene. Very useful and a recent new addition it was.

3) Quick icon or key to move camera directly near the selected object in the scene or object selected in the scene entity list

Double clicking on a scene entity item in the scene entity list will move the camera to look at that object, or pressing alt and then scrolling in will point you towards your entity :)

4) Small Gizmo to quickly switch between perspective or top, down, sides views, it's very usefull when needing to do precise placement.

This is already in the engine but is on a menu on the overlay screen:
Clipboard Image (2).jpg
Clipboard Image (2).jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 7601 times

5) Press space to switch between move , rotate and scale object functions (Unreal like).
Sometimes a key press to cycle between tools is faster than move and click with mouse.

this is also possible, but through another set of key combos.

no key press -> Position gizmo
hold ctrl -> Rotate gizmo
hold ctrl + alt -> Scale gizmo

Hope this all helps :)

p.s. we also have that camera viewport already is dev too when a camera is selected :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 26 Sep 2017, 10:12

SolarPortal wrote:

We are planning this as a middle mouse click for most of the editors or features that need panning. e.g. main editor, visual module graph etc...

haha, find it funny that you mention it also. We have been wanting to implement orthoganol for 2D Skyline. But it would also be useful as you say. Not sure on timeframe at the moment though.. lots to do and little time to do them :P
However, to help speed up your development and placement, you can hold the alt key while an entity is selected to orbit around it, and the holding alt while moving the gizmo will move the camera with the entity in the scene. Very useful and a recent new addition it was.

Double clicking on a scene entity item in the scene entity list will move the camera to look at that object, or pressing alt and then scrolling in will point you towards your entity :)

This is already in the engine but is on a menu on the overlay screen:
Clipboard Image (2).jpg

this is also possible, but through another set of key combos.

no key press -> Position gizmo
hold ctrl -> Rotate gizmo
hold ctrl + alt -> Scale gizmo

Hope this all helps :)

p.s. we also have that camera viewport already is dev too when a camera is selected :)

Mouse middle is not perhaps the best option for people working with tablets, key combination (CTRL,SHIT,ALT + Mouse) can still be usefull and i don't like a lot the middle mouse button compared to the regular mouse button for clicking.
Why not simply let user customize editor inputs later ?

About orthogonal view, it's not only about rotation , but also about percise positionning and scaling, good news it will be implemented later :)

Other features are already there, i just didn't dig enought :lol:
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Sep 2017, 10:19

Thanks for the input on the middle mouse button.

we never liked it ourselves because our mouse button was crap on our equipment in the studio, but a key input manager is planned, but again.. no timeline on this due to the main release :)

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 26 Sep 2017, 10:20

I had another editor request :

In rotation gizmo mode : CTRL + mouse to make 45° rotations
It's something very usefull to quickly turn objects in main directions.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Sep 2017, 10:26

you can engage 45 degree rotations by using this property in the menu:
Clipboard Image (2).jpg
Clipboard Image (2).jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 7593 times

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 26 Sep 2017, 18:54

I like the snapping tool

And the construction kit and auto placement is great and works in combination with snap feature, i think i can extend it with my own 3D tiles :D
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Return to Feature Requests