For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

FSM or BT editors

FSM or BT editors

Postby SpiderMack » 13 Nov 2017, 14:02

Hi,

When people start making complex AI , instead of writting thousand lines of code , there is visual editors to manage that graphically like Finite State Machine or Behaviour Tree graphs.

Is this possible Skygraph to get the possibility to create FSM or BT ?
Skygraph could produce runing code like actually , or code to be used in FSM or BT and would allow to create FSM and BT.

For example some very popular Unity plugin is "Playmaker" , it's based on FSM and avoids you to write code as all gameplay and states are done in FSM.

Behaviour Designer is one among other BT editors usefull to write AI code

It's not a personnal request, i don't need BT or FSM in Skyline, but this could be a great addition later, allowing reducing code writting as they manage game states or FSM making it easy for beginners like Playmaker users.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Scripter

Re: FSM or BT editors

Postby SolarPortal » 13 Nov 2017, 14:34

We have a full finite state machine in lua that does exactly that without the visual aspects..
Would be cool to have a graph version though :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby Shando » 13 Nov 2017, 23:05

Hi SpiderMack,

A couple of years ago I wrote a complete AI System for Skyline (including Behaviour Trees, Finite State Machines & Decision Trees) and also a "Plugin" to help set them up:

AI_Editor.PNG
Screenshot
AI_Editor.PNG (46.77 KiB) Viewed 7572 times

As you can see, this isn't "graphical", but if anyone knows how to create graphs in Qt, then I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to change??

Regards

Shando

PS: if you want a copy of the AI stuff, just drop me a PM
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SpiderMack » 14 Nov 2017, 09:42

Very nice Shando.

While FSM needs graphic with nodes and connections, a BT editor can be edited like a vertical tree indeed.
Your BT editor reminds me this one :
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33057

From image you posted it looks like it could have a bit more functionnality like different sequence types, random sequence, timer for example.

Are you using it for your needs ? If its is functionnal t is functionnal and call script Lua or Skygraph actions, i'm sure it could become very usefull for people to quickly make AI in a very easy way :D
Any plan it's integrated in SKyline ? It would be even more interesting for Skyline i think.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist

Postby Shando » 14 Nov 2017, 12:45

Hi SpiderMack,

Thanks for the compliments :)

It doesn't currently work as I'm having issues with "pop up" dialogs not working, but it did work when I first wrote it ( Skyline has changed an awful lot since then ;) )

It was meant to be a simple introduction to AI for people that had no background in the field and that's why it's not very sophisticated :D

I find the whole AI field fascinating and have completed a few AI courses in the past. In fact, I've written Skyline scripts for each of the following:

Behaviour Trees
Decision Trees
Finite State Machines
Blackboards
Steering Behaviours (Wander, Flee, Follow, Evade, Pursue, Seek, Arrive & Obstacle Avoidance)

I'll post some more details when I manage to sort out the bugs :mrgreen:

Regards

Shando

PS: I've also looked into things like Machine Learning, Intelligent Agents, Natural Language Processing etc. but Lua is not really conducive to intensive operations :lol:
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Return to Feature Requests