For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Physics need editing

Physics need editing

Postby SpiderMack » 17 Nov 2017, 09:42

Hi,

I have a model and i needed to rotate and resize the physix shape.

But it's not possible in Skyline :shock:

Only translation is available, did i miss something ?

SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Scripter

Re: Physics need editing

Postby SolarPortal » 17 Nov 2017, 15:11

The physics shapes are created based on the scale of a model.

In your particular case, you might be better off using the character controller as its capsule is adjustable and can be aligned to the horizontal axis.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 17 Nov 2017, 19:11

SolarPortal wrote:The physics shapes are created based on the scale of a model.

In your particular case, you might be better off using the character controller as its capsule is adjustable and can be aligned to the horizontal axis.

Why should we use character for game and stuff that is not character ? This work around does'nt make sense

Physics editing and support is in poor state in Skyline.You can't even add multiple physics shapers per object :shock:

Physics is the essential part of gameplay, it could have some priority for usability.

It's a real struggle and limited to edit physics in skyline , while it's some clicks easy and as a breeze in Unity or open source engine

In Skyline editing physics looks very outdated and you can't add multiple collision shapes per object , so you can't use multiple shapes to make collision for some object like a space ship, or you can't make hit boxes or ragdoll also.

I don't ask you to improve it, i just point it's rather limited and hard to use in such poor state.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby planetX » 17 Nov 2017, 20:10

I'm not sure if in Skyline is possible, but the way I was used to work was using two meshes, one for physics (which is invisible) and another one for visuals. Then I attach the visuals to the physics and try to move it with forces.

In your specific case you can have a cube mesh, which can be spawned and transformed by a script several times to cover all the parts of the spaceship, and make them collidable... at least that's how I would approach it. That's what I do for static meshes (scenery) but not sure if it would work with dinamic rigidbodies.

My specs: Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz - 16 Gb ram DDR4 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 Gb

planetX
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 17 Nov 2017, 20:29

planetX wrote:I'm not sure if in Skyline is possible, but the way I was used to work was using two meshes, one for physics (which is invisible) and another one for visuals. Then I attach the visuals to the physics and try to move it with forces.

In your specific case you can have a cube mesh, which can be spawned and transformed by a script several times to cover all the parts of the spaceship, and make them collidable... at least that's how I would approach it. That's what I do for static meshes (scenery) but not sure if it would work with dinamic rigidbodies.

Hi,

No worry, i am don't have a team making a game in Skyline that needs better collision :lol:
The ship example is just here to point out what is not great using it and limited, and what need to improve, i don't care if it stays that way and don't improve.

With your solution you are still limited to two collision shapes only, you'll never be able to make collision hitboxes or hit capsules, your gameplay will stay very limited. And it does not change that physics editing is not visual , it doesn't support multiple shapes, and you can't rotate and scale shapes.
(I don't think this will happen before having drag and drop objects parenting working, because collision shapes must be child of objects)

As a work around it's encouraging to keep collision editing as it is instead of modern editing.
Try out some other small indie or open source 3D.
I am only another user, i am not Skyline developper to say it's priority or not :lol:
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby epsilonion » 19 Nov 2017, 22:34

I have thought about hit boxes on my player character, the way I have thought about it is attaching basic geometry in places of legs, arms, chest and head, when they detect a collision and that collision is a bullet then the one(s) that detect the hit calls the players script and reduces the health of a player dependent on where the player is hit.

The pony problem I have faced on this is the player gets hit when shot in the space between the legs.

Using your space ship example you could place them where sub-systems are on that space ship and disable a part of it when it gets damaged xx percent. without effecting the overall health of the space ship if you wanted it that way, say engine is hit and knocked out but the rest of the ship is at 100%.

I don't know how this would work using the visual mechanics but using hit boxes is possible.
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Return to Feature Requests