For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Simulation/Terrain size

Simulation/Terrain size

Postby Christian » 20 Mar 2013, 15:40

Ok, this one is a long way off but something to bear in mind for the future, when Skyline is released.
If you had a feature to support very large or streaming terrains, this would be highly advantageous.
Simulation is a large (and also growing due to its cost saving potential) market and I can see direct applications from the simulation sector if some way down the line Skyline could support large terrains with geo-referencing, and DIS.
Current simulation engines (VBS2 and Real Time Immersive) aren't great when it comes to large terrains > 50km^2.
Something to consider as a potential sector.
Christian
Skyline Novice

Re: Simulation/Terrain size

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 21 Mar 2013, 02:04

I can tell ya the guys have terrain paging planned.

I'm currently working with a 4096 heightmap on a 16k map its now working well.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Re: Simulation/Terrain size

Postby SolarPortal » 21 Mar 2013, 09:48

Thanks for your input :D

If you had a feature to support very large or streaming terrains, this would be highly advantageous.

As iamcheeseontoast has said, terrain paging is planned in for development. This will allow almost infinite worlds to be created. We are also planning on a Procedural vegetation system which will populate the world for you based on a few base sets of data.

if some way down the line Skyline could support large terrains with geo-referencing,

There will be a library or some way of doing this to add GIS data to the terrain.

Something to consider as a potential sector.

Most certainly, Skyline could be a time saving development tool in this market something we will look into :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Feature Requests