For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

a basic ".obj" physic vehicle

a basic ".obj" physic vehicle

Postby diedir » 08 Apr 2013, 12:24

Hi
as i am toying with vehicle physics, i think it would be great to have a very basic vehicle in .obj format
globally a cube for chassis and cylinder for wheel to observe in our 3D app the axis where the front is pointing and the proportion related to the ".car" arguments.

thank you
diedir
Skyline Apprentice

Re: a basic ".obj" physic vehicle

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 08 Apr 2013, 12:31

I have plenty of basic vehicles, let me know and I'll sort you out with one or 2. (3ds Max 2010)

I also now have a couple ingame using the monster truck car file as a basis. Not quite got the cars to sit right yet.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby diedir » 08 Apr 2013, 15:03

thank you for your offer i just need an ".obj" with physics compliants (axis, scale) car format for opening and study in my 3D App (Hexagon by the way)
i don't need a "mesh" format since i can't open it.
thanks
diedir
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Apr 2013, 15:09

vehicles currently need setup inside Skyline and not the modelling package as it currently cant be done.
In your modelling package, take the car body and export that as a mesh and take the wheels and export them as a mesh.
(by mesh i mean the format you use for exporting e.g. .obj, .dae, etc... :D)

Then use the .car file or the lua script to set your vehicle up.

There are 2 tech demos with the new version of skyline.
One for .car and one for lua script.

For .car vehicle setup, use the examples in the models/vehicles folder of the asset library and this wiki page
http://www.chi-ad.com/DokuWiki/doku.php/res_vehiclesetup

Hope this helps :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 10 Apr 2013, 18:44

Just let me know If you still need obj and I'll export the parts as obj for the 2 cars that are currently in my game release, youll find a link in the community section.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby diedir » 11 Apr 2013, 12:17

Hey
thank you but i got it now, i do know that Z axis need to point from back to front and i got scale my model too.
the pbm now i must resolve is the body model (not physic one) half buried in the terrain like a moll (lol) need to correct this and my vehicle will look good.
thank you all
diedir
Skyline Apprentice

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 11 Apr 2013, 18:48

Your models central point (0,0,0) will most likely be the answer. You should set your model on its wheel and have the 0,0,0 of the body at 0,0,0 on the ground. (in your modelling prog). Although I've not fully experimented with it yet. Once we get to the next round of physics I'll find out which is better as far as handling etc goes. I have 1 car set to ground and the other to the centre of gravity of the car, there appears to be no difference ingame.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Return to Feature Requests