For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Universal manipulator

Universal manipulator

Postby Ellement » 13 Nov 2012, 13:50

As ChessOnToast said , the universal manipulator Gizmo is little bit to hard work with. I know that comparing things from other softwares isnt nice , But take a look at Cinema's 4D Universal manipulator. Its simply perfect, if you can get closer to it , that would be superb.
Ellement
Skyline Padawan

Re: Universal manipulator

Postby StarFire » 13 Nov 2012, 14:07

Yes the gizmo can be a little awkward, this is due to some issues with distance to the object, the closer you are the finer the movement. Personally I do like the all in one gizmo instead of having to change into move, rotate scale modes that seem old school. If we had to move to the individual gizmos, I personally prefer the second life of doing the gizmo as it is simple and effective.
Once we get some of the bigger issues we can re visit the gizmo and improve it. in the interim I was thing about adding the ability to snap to rotations such as 45, 90 degrees.
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby Ellement » 13 Nov 2012, 14:27

All in one gizmo is good, i am not saying it is not. i will post an image of what i meant :0) , and what you say about the rotation snapping , is good yes. Will i be able to turn it off? haha
Ellement
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 13 Nov 2012, 14:41

You want to be able to rotate in more than 45, 90 degrees! lol hehe

yes there would be an option to turn it off ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 14 Nov 2012, 01:55

Gizmo gets a little crowded but I do like the all in one idea. Not sure the scaling is really needed that much. Removing those parts would leave it cleaner and easier to work with.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby ucm » 19 Nov 2012, 10:36

I have been in total love with the gizmo from my other engine so something all in one like that with a right click on object to "Edit PRS" dialog is something i would love to go with my vote on :)
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby ucm » 19 Nov 2012, 11:27

** a feature request: I just had a thought that would really come in handy for everyone from all backgrounds if we had a way to show "Mesh Sub-group Mini-Gizmos" and "Bone Sub-group Mini-Gizmos"

This would make it super easy for Artists to easily make quick changes to the objects in the development environment and would make my cinematography life a million times easier....

Maybe we could all give this one some more thought from an Artist or filmmaker point-of-view and try to figure out the best way to design this UI..

** Also a feature request for on mouse over, show entity/object's ( both Local AND World ) Position/Rotation/Scale like a tooltip and then if a Mesh or Bones Sub-group Mini-Gizmos is displayed to get their ( both Local AND World ) Position/Rotation/Scale like a tooltip

^-- these are in the top ten wishes i have had for every engine i've ever found especially when precision is crutial to a game or cutscene setup :D
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 19 Nov 2012, 11:36

There is a new new mini gizmo added for working with sub objects, this was needed for moving the road nodes. There is also a new translation panel for fine control over position, rotation,scale this panel has also a control to change the amount of fine control ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby ucm » 19 Nov 2012, 12:26

Super Awesome!!!! :D
ucm