For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Custom profiles for the road system

Custom profiles for the road system

Postby Pirate Myke » 12 Feb 2015, 17:36

The road system in the terrain editor is a nice feature. Will there be plans in the future to allow a custom profile to be lofted along the spline?

I see that you can change the road textures, and that the dimensions are hard coded into the interface right now?

Good for better rail road tracks, fences, railing, things like that.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Animator
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Custom profiles for the road system

Postby SolarPortal » 12 Feb 2015, 18:09

yes, we have had plans for custom profiles.
We were more thinking like wall edges, railings, bridges over gaps to begin with. Then we can look at more custom profiles and generate the vertices in the correct places. I will think about it when we do the next pass.

We are also going to be building Road lodding, and also multi materials, so you can have a sandy area onto a forest trail etc.. all from one road. Also intersections are needed aswell, for more complex road structures.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby TattieBoJangle » 12 Feb 2015, 18:40

Yea Myke i have already done this for a rail track and you can scale it to a nice size looks great when you blend it with the terrain. As for fences ect it would be cool but not sure how this would work as it would be using a 3d model.
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: Great creative

Postby SolarPortal » 12 Feb 2015, 18:50

We were going to implement a spline system, like the path editor, where at each nodes, it spawns and orients an object.
Would be great for railings, telegraph poles, hedge rows, field borders, crop rows, fences etc..
This tool would not be part of the road system though, and could be used to just generate a scene faster.

As for the road, i think the material & texturing would be the hard part, grabbing some vertices and extruding won't be too much work. Won't enjoy generating the tangents and normals though bleh :P :P
It could be done as a little 2d window that appears and you move the vertices around for a profile. At the moment, the road is created from a spline, so in a sense it already does this. It generates vertices to the left / right of the centre line, together with the correct orientation to form a road.
But again, putting a texture/material onto the face would be tough. Especially for something like a railroad (wood beams, metal lines, gravel ground).

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby TattieBoJangle » 12 Feb 2015, 19:00

Yea that will be a nice new feature i just used a flat image with heavy bump for the rail road and increased the height a little then blended it with the terrain and it looked great i have seen a lot of games do it this way :)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby Pirate Myke » 12 Feb 2015, 20:12

I brought in a railroad texture and rotated it 90 degrees to go with the path in the road terrain. had a normal map with displacement in the alpha and it was ok from a distance, the lack of collision going over the rails, and true tale it was not geometry.

But I like the path idea better for rails and other things as it would open up a world of possible things to be able to be done.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 12 Feb 2015, 20:26

if the tracks are not an integral part of the game mechanic the texture would work just fine. As what you see in games is not really what is really shown unless its part of the story the rest is just "smoke and mirrors" Good texturing with false perspective can pull of some cool tricks. ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 12 Feb 2015, 20:46

I agree that it is all about smoke and mirrors from a distance and certain perspectives, getting that perfect texture at the right width a little harder to pull off. I have had a couple projects where a subway system is used or a complete rail yard. This is good from a distance shot, but does not really fool the player on top of the tracks or crossing them at other road intersections or inside the tunnel maze where that is the main part.

I have these all in model format to be able to import into, and fairly low poly. But the tedium of an end user laying down miles of this stuff in 100 foot increments, well is tedious. especially if you forget to set the collision or just about anything about them after the fact. Getting back to the rapid development part of the future request.

Laying down the path as you have now is a great start to this. Being able to throw in the custom profile, even better. City roads with the sidewalk and gutter already there, Intersections of coarse a big plus. I am confident that these will be future features.

Thanks for the replies.
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 12 Feb 2015, 20:58

skyline has a snapping tool, so if you know the length of yours tracks in meters, then you could snap them together. Plus with local gizmo, its easy to move and align. We have had a user in the past who built their railroads like this.

i agree, profiled meshes and the ability to make things very quick to make will be some awesome features. Just got to add them at some point ;)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 12 Feb 2015, 21:37

Yes the snapping feature has a host of presets, and the ability to set your own snap distance, so longer sections could be achieved for level terrain.

Hopefully I can get and exported terrain to 3d max and then back again, But I seem to have a heavy hand on crashing the editor. I see a button, I want to press it and see what it does.

Save save save.
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 13 Feb 2015, 12:56

We do have planned at some point to be able to export the terrain to a mesh file, most likely when we get mobile export, as the terrain will be too intensive to run on a mobile device.
But this is a big job and won't happen for a while. ;)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Feature Requests