For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Texture/Material

Texture/Material

Postby TattieBoJangle » 23 Feb 2015, 10:06

Would it be possible to add the ability to make material from textures in the asset manager, the reason i ask is if you are importing a model pack you have to manually edit each model and create the material but this is not carried over to models that use the same textures so say i have a model called wall and it has wall_D.dds wall_N.dds wall_S.dds and i have another model that uses they textures it would save time if you could make the material from the textures just a thought as the way it is takes forever ;)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Re: Texture/Material

Postby SolarPortal » 23 Feb 2015, 11:36

you can already make materials from textures.

I can make it so you can right click on the texture icon in the asset manager and say create material.
Even better to have a batch conversion. This would work by selected the folder with the textures and RMB + Click -> Convert all textures to material, i can make it so it leaves the normal and specular maps alone because they have specific suffixs "_s", "_spec", etc....

You can also drag and drop textures from the asset manager directly onto the material editor.
Or you can type the textures into the line edit and press return on the material editor for faster texture placement.

Current Routine:
> Add mesh to scene
> Drag texture onto mesh (e.g. wall_D.dds)
> RMB + Click in the scene view -> Save Texture as Material.
> On the dialog, either choose to save with that name in the folder the texture came from, or click cancel to choose a location and name for it instead.
> Assign the new material to mesh if it isn't already.
> Save as preset and re-use by dragging the preset in. It will have the material you made attached.
> Reuse the material by dragging it onto different objects and save them as preset.

Hope this helps :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer

Postby TattieBoJangle » 23 Feb 2015, 18:24

Even better to have a batch conversion. This would work by selected the folder with the textures and RMB + Click -> Convert all textures to material, i can make it so it leaves the normal and specular maps alone because they have specific suffixs "_s", "_spec", etc....

This sounds great especially the batch conversion and would help :)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: Great creative

Postby SolarPortal » 27 Feb 2015, 16:30

i already implemented a simple texture convert, the batch is not yet done. These can be added over time. :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer

Return to Feature Requests