For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Networking Solution & Dedicated Servers

Re: Liam Gibbins - Documents/Tutorials/Getting Started

Postby Dev_Peasant » 17 Mar 2015, 23:32

well i am not in a huge rush for needing networking this second, I would have many scripts to write and models to make, and I still need to get used to lua, which should not take me long since i know c# and python pretty well.

I have editted lua scripts regarding rust plugins not too long ago so, i would most likely be fluent in a few weeks or month.

Before I commit and purchase a copy, I just need to know if I will be able to make a game, along with a dedicated server, where lists of servers will show up in my "server" list, when i make one.

How far off do you think networking is, i mean you said you have it and will be implimenting it, are we talking days, weeks months, years?

I would not realistically need to even mess with networking for a few months, and this engine seems beautiful by design. So the real question is, will multiplayer networking be implemented by the time I am needing to start working with it? Since I just found you all, I have not personally experienced how often you update. The money is burning a hole in my pocket and I want to get started. hehe though I need to make sure the engine can handle the job before I commit.

1) able to write seperate dedicated server
2) servers will show in master list on client, for them to join
3) the networking works
4) will the networking be encrypted and hard to hack?

SolarPortal wrote:Hi and Welcome to the forums Dev_Peasant :D We hope you join us on this journey to creating a simple and easy yet powerful game development system.

I Believe Tech Support has just emailed you with the answer you are looking for :)

For others: Skyline currently does not have networking exposed to the end user, but it is integrated already and is planned to be finished soon after a couple of major tasks are completed. :)

The reply did not give the specific information i needed in order to decide on purchasing, it was mostly a question of what type of networking i plan on using. I will need a realistic ghestimate on when networking support will be available since i will not be using it this second, but the game i plan to make is fully multiplayer. I have no game to make multiplayer as of yet, and have plenty of time to development and learn until the networking has been implemented, I just need to make sure I wont hit a brick wall, and be ready to go and have to wait a long time for networking support to be added.

Pleasure to meet you all!
Dev_Peasant
Skyline Novice

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Audio
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Networking Solution & Dedicated Servers

Postby SolarPortal » 18 Mar 2015, 11:05

Thank you for your kind words :) We tend to release every 3-6 weeks depending on tasks at hand and their level of complexity.

We will be truthful, we ourselves have not yet worked with networking that much and will be creating it as we learn, as a lot of skyline has been done the same way, so it shows that we are capable of such a task.

Expect Basic Networking to usable in the next few month. ( @Shando: Hint Hint ;) ).
As for dedicated Servers, this is a bit different and we have a few setbacks ourselves with this one.

> We don't have a dedicated server that we can test with, so we would need to work closely with someone in order to create the best solution possible.
> We have never worked on this sort of system, so we will be learning as we go.
> Its going to be some few months( anyway between 3-12 month ) before its done, depending on hardware and level of networking work done. If we end up exposing the functions to you, then it might be sooner. But creating our own easy to use system will take a long time. :)

Here is our roadmap entry for networking: https://trello.com/c/9ENlf4pH/21-networking-via-raknet

Note: All my answers are based on the current knowledge of networking solutions.
1) able to write separate dedicated server

This i am guessing, you need a separate application which handles/hooks up to the server and feed to the clients.
We could possibly create our own "SkylineServer" app that has the skyline API built into it, so you can handle most things when manipulating skyline objects, but it just acts as a server alone.

2) servers will show in master list on client, for them to join

This i am sure RakNet already handles, as it can create a multitude of connections to servers / clients.
You can then feed all the information to a GUI inside skyline, that the client can click on to join the server.

Look at: Option 4: Using the Lobby server or RoomsPlugin
http://www.raknet.net/raknet/manual/connecting.html

4) will the networking be encrypted and hard to hack?

Raknet does have the ability of encrypting packets to keep them secure. As seen in this page:
http://www.raknet.net/raknet/manual/secureconnections.html

We have full access to the entire RakNet API and can implement anything you find, so the best thing i can say to you, is have a look through the RakNet manual, find the bits you will need to create your server setups.
Get back to us and give us some links and information, and we can expose those sections for you to create your own solution. When you have written your own solution in lua, we can speed the performance up by replicating it into c++ code by simplified lua code or through actions for better performance.
We have other users doing this already for other topics.

I hope this helps. :D

P.S. Have you heard of "HeroEngine", this is a full MMO network solution already designed to create these types of game and may give you exactly what you want quicker.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby raisins » 30 Jun 2015, 17:40

Expect Basic Networking to usable in the next few month. ( @Shando: Hint Hint ;) ).

I'm excited.

Question: I was wondering if it's possible to use DLLs for Skyline produced games? Do you have an option for this in the level editor where I can hook DLL functions? I have networking DLL that I would like to use for Skyline.

Thanks.
raisins
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: Network guru

Postby SolarPortal » 01 Jul 2015, 11:34

I'm excited.

Glad to hear :D

Since skyline does not have a C++ SDK yet, it is very difficult and to our knowledge not yet possible to load a dll as the .lib files need to be compiled into the application. However saying this, if you dont mind others having access to the dll, then we can build / integrate into skyline and expose all the commands to lua.

We are looking at ways of making this possible though.

Note: Network timeline: we have been put back a month or so as we have just had a bereavement in the family( 6 weeks ago ) and are finally picking things back up again.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist

Return to Feature Requests