Help and advice for Installing Skylines Toolset

Update not registering after clean install

Update not registering after clean install

Postby Rockape » 30 Aug 2015, 12:47

Hi Folks,
Everything was working fine with Skyline, then I upgraded to Windows 10 and everything went down hill rapidly. Windows 10 effectively trashed my filing system and workflow by restricting my access to various files and folders and no attempt at resetting the read/write permissions and UAC tinkering would resolve the issue, this was not local to Skyline it affected various software and games. Nothing else to do but restore Windows 7, WRONG!!! "Unable to Restore Backup you don't have permission blah blahdy blah", Thank you Microsoft you bunch of Tools!... :x

Only thing for it now, One HD wipe and fresh install of Windows7x64, have re-installed Skyline but it won't Auto-update for some reason, it downloads the updates and goes through the motions but when you check the versioning it still tells me its version 0.9. Have uninstalled Skyline and run Regedit to remove keys and associated references, rebooted and re-installed but still the same issue, even followed Tatties Tuts, to no avail (BTW Great Tuts Tattie keep 'em comming).

------------------
System Information (reported by dxdiag)
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150722-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/18/12 19:44:49 Ver: 12.01
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 2023MB used, 14355MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 760
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1187&SUBSYS_11871569&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4038 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1990 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model:
Monitor Id: HKC2600
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 10.18.0013.5560 (English)
Driver Version: 10.18.13.5560
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/7/2015 12:06:30, 15510112 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Was unable to locate a Crash Dump or Error Log in Skyline, that's if it creates one or do I need to create one myself through Windows Error Reporting?

Thanks in Advance.
If you can dream it, You can create it

System: HP ENVY Phoenix CPU: i7-6700K (x8) @ 4.20GHz RAM: 32GB GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti x6GB Storage: 256 GB SSD + 3TB SATA HD
Windows 10 x64
Rockape
Skyline Novice

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Concept artist

Re: Update not registering after clean install

Postby SolarPortal » 30 Aug 2015, 13:15

That sounds like you have had lots of fun...not! :shock:
We had many issues ourselves upgrading to windows 10, but it seems to be stablish now lol :P

Anyway, for the auto updates to work, they need an internet connection to download, access to the appdata/local folder and have you got the environment variables still setup. These are setup when skyline is installed.

These are "System Variables":
  • SKYLINE_SDK - point towards (Drive:\Aurasoft\SkylineSDK)
  • SKYLINE_SDK_BIN - point towards (Drive:\Aurasoft\SkylineSDK\Skyline\Win32_Release)
  • SKYLINE_VERSION - point towards (Skyline) (-- not really used anymore)
You can edit your environment varaibles from the "RMB + Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables"

once you set these up again if they don't exist, then you will need to reboot or log out & back in again for the changes to take effect.

Q) Are any firewalls or antivirus stopping Skyline from updating correctly?
Q) How is the license still functioning? i thought it would break by now lol :P If you would like me to reset the license, then pm me your key :)

If the problem still persists, then you can try to manually install all the updates in order, which we will come to later if need be :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby Rockape » 30 Aug 2015, 13:48

Thanks Solar,

for the auto updates to work, they need an internet connection to download, access to the appdata/local folder

Yep can tick the boxes there, Will look at the System Vars. though, I didn't think of that one... :roll:
Will PM License Key as when I looked prior to last uninstall License stated something like "uses 2 of 2" so yep will probably need a reset next time around.

Thanks again will keep you posted.
If you can dream it, You can create it

System: HP ENVY Phoenix CPU: i7-6700K (x8) @ 4.20GHz RAM: 32GB GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti x6GB Storage: 256 GB SSD + 3TB SATA HD
Windows 10 x64
Rockape
Skyline Novice

Skill: Concept artist

Postby StarFire » 30 Aug 2015, 14:19

Hi Rockape and welcome to to the Skyline Journey! :D

We too share your pain and have the scars of the ms win10 upgrade, lost way too many nights sleep over it lol :lol:
Dont worry about the license uses as SP will reset them for you :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer

Postby TattieBoJangle » 30 Aug 2015, 15:01

Hope you get it fixed asap Rockape I believe the problem when updating to windows 10 is it keeps some files, folders, reg files and in turn skyline believes it is registered.

My advise to anyone going to windows 10 is to upgrade to it this will register windows 10 on your account, then do a clean install using the iso's provided by ms when it asks for a serial just click skip then when its finished it will auto register as you did the initial upgrade ;)

BTW Great Tuts Tattie keep 'em coming

Thanks much appreciated :D
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: Great creative

Return to Installation