Anything to do with physics. Rigid Bodies, Kinematic controllers, vehicles etc.

PRB Skin Width

PRB Skin Width

Postby emkay4597 » 31 Mar 2015, 09:51

what I assume could be described as the... man I don't know.. I guess the boundary layer, the part that makes contact...

I seem to be getting the best results using -1.0 (negative 1) for the ground.

Would this create a negative collision vector, or anything wonky? I mean so far objects seem to bounce in the correct direction but I feel intuitively this would change the normal and give me grief later maybe?

It seems to be working great for me.

0.0001 puts added objects a bit too high, 0.1 ironically lets objects sag a bit into the ground but -1.0 seems dead on.
emkay4597
Skyline Initiate

Re: PRB Skin Width

Postby SolarPortal » 31 Mar 2015, 10:15

Skin width should never go below 0 according to the PhysX manual. 0 is a bad number to use also as it will always cause a collision the moment is brushes up against something slowing performance drastically.

The best value to use for our scale is anywhere between 0.01 & 0.1

The Skin Width property is used to reduce the amount of collisions by essentially creating a padding that contacting objects have to pass into each other first before a collision is actually registered and passed back through the system. Larger skin widths means object pass further into the object before collision. Smaller means the contact happens closer to the surface of the object.

I think by putting -1, we may end up defaulting that to 0.01 or something in the system to stop a crash.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Re: PRB Skin Width

Postby emkay4597 » 31 Mar 2015, 10:22

Okay, that makes sense.