This is where active bugs can be seen and where to post a new bug.

Gen2 navmesh question

Gen2 navmesh question

Postby SpiderMack » 02 Dec 2016, 22:00

How to (un)mark entities "static" or navmesh ? i don't want characters to be "static" and included on navmesh generation.
No quick button to hide navmesh when generated ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Scripter

Re: Gen2 navmesh question

Postby StarFire » 02 Dec 2016, 22:11

The nav mesh can be set to invisible by checking the debug navmesh option on the nav mesh editor.

Scene entities by default come in as dynamic and have a property in the the base type setting for update mode.

@Sp is out atm I think he may have a few navmesh pointers ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby SolarPortal » 02 Dec 2016, 22:19

Aahh, right i know what your on about :)

At the moment, i just move the characters above the ground somewhat and then generate navmesh; after move the character down. This i know is awkward and we can add a base selector on the entity properties to handle this. This is one area that is not as developed in skyline but can be improved. We shall see what we can do for the next update to improve this. :)

The debug checkbox on the navmesh editor will hide and unhide the editor.

These are the reasons why we are in private alpha as some parts are not fully ported but you reporting like this helps alot :D

Edit: To get you going quicker, here is a reference to the navmesh lua API: http://www.chi-ad.com/Skyline/API/Lua/html/classnavmesh.html
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 02 Dec 2016, 22:30

Checkbox "debug Navmesh" don't hide, only change color.

Urgent , particles and sound entities need gizmos to be visible and selectables in 3D scene, i can only select in entity List :(

Few ideas
-I would like fast anti aliasing FXAA , optionnal MSAA or TXAA.
- cubemap texture is used on materials , Light probes and light probes grid are better pre calculated accurate reflections.
-Three main materials i will re use a lot for the game, but i need to duplicate and select and object to change textures for each new material, it's too long and i want to work fast with materials. Solution : double click on material we have shader code and textures and parameters, or Material with textures are displayed in "properties" to quick access and quick texture assign like others engine do.
- SHIFT + right click down to move editor camera forward and sidewards.
Last edited by SpiderMack on 02 Dec 2016, 23:14, edited 2 times in total.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby StarFire » 02 Dec 2016, 22:51

On the particle/sound front, these are actions added on a empty scene node. Ok I should explain a little more....

The thing with Skyline is that that all objects in the scene are presets, made in Skyline, apart from the base types so anyone can change or create their own favorite objects suitable to their workflow.
Objects in the scene are built out of a combination of devices, base type: light,model, material etc , actions being particles, sounds, scripts etc
A combination of these is then stored to disc as a preset. The current rmb presets for particle and sound are built on an empty node that is invisible in the scene, great for scripts that are not attached to an entity. You can create a new audio preset or particle with a selectable model by the following:

RMB: Model/model Default
RMB: Action Editor > in editor choose audio or skyparticle
In the new objects property find the options for loading file.
RMB: Entity - Save As Preset or drag drop in the asset manager.

We do need to add a special type of model to the action such as audio (particle was supposed to have one :roll:)

Hope this helps :)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 02 Dec 2016, 22:55

SP is doing a video on material workflow for you, should not be too long!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 02 Dec 2016, 22:57

Thank you i understand, 3D view menu proposes to add particles and sound that are not presets this was confusing a little, but it's ok.
Adding Lua to entity is very friendly, editor snippet manager is very awesome :D

Shadows opacity is possible ? I want less black (how without light probes) ?

EDIT :
Navmesh hide with "debug" is working with "Tiled Navmesh", but it is not working with "Single Navmesh"
It is ok, i found Physics hidden in "Action -ADD", ready to make something :)
Last edited by SpiderMack on 02 Dec 2016, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 02 Dec 2016, 23:29

-Three main materials i will re use a lot for the game, but i need to duplicate and select and object to change textures for each new material, it's too long and i want to work fast with materials. Solution : double click on material we have shader code and textures and parameters, or Material with textures are displayed in "properties" to quick access and quick texture assign like others engine do.

Our material system is quite fast when used correctly. Skyline works well when you use the asset manager. This contains so many functions and automatic systems to get and prepare your assets for use in the engine.

This was quick, but heres a video of a small part of the material workflow:

The asset manager can also create files like materials from right clicking in empty space. You can duplicate when right clicking on an asset and choosing "duplicate file". If its a material, then the duplicate will rename the contents to new material name specified.

Also check out these links as these are useful resources also.:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTs46hmZu0n7J4oBNXZPXfw/videos?view_as=subscriber
http://blog.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/skyline-gen2-material-editor-pbr-overview/

-I would like fast anti aliasing FXAA , optionnal MSAA or TXAA.

This we have already, however the HBAO is not playing well with it atm, so while HBAO is on, the FXAA is off.

- SHIFT + right click down to move editor camera forward and sidewards.

You can move forwards in the scene by scrolling your mouse wheel in/out. Sideways is handled on the A/D key more like a strafe. Alternate editing modes to suit the style of many users is something we wish to aim for in skyline.

These requests and fixes could take a week or so, but we will see what we can do :)

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 02 Dec 2016, 23:47

Use the ambient slider in the Render Panel at the top to increase the ambience in the scene to stop making the shadows look as black and using the lighting levels at closer to the bottom to control overall lighting. I use it in the video above.

As for light probes and reflections in scene.... without giving to much away, this is in the plans and sooner rather than later.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 02 Dec 2016, 23:50

Awesome video.
The pop up "Save material" when nothing has been changed is annoying :(

Real examples
1) Your level game get 10 000 models, a 3D artist made some updates on materials and textures, you know the material category and names only , in Skyline you need to find and select the 3D model first, in Unity you find the material and you change textures because textures are part of material not 3D model.
2) You make textures (woods, walls ...) with Substance Designer for houses, you need to create materials first, you'll assign materials to models modules when you'll arrange modules to make houses.
Workflow is ok as it is ( making possible to edit textures in materials without select 3D model could be another option).
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 02 Dec 2016, 23:59

So, if i am picking this up right. You want to be able to edit the material without loading a model and selecting it on model.
So for example, open asset library, locate material file > right click edit material.

If so, this is something we have also wanted and we built the basis for this when creating Gen2 but have not tested or worked that area yet.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 03 Dec 2016, 00:15

You buy thousand Substance textures materials, you'll need to create thousand materials in Skyline, not create thousand models.
Workflow is ok , but this option can help.

I dropped physics for models and characters, i can't visualize physics models and sizes for capsule, box, sphere to adjust and fit to models sizes. How do you adjust capsule , sphere , box heights offsets and sizes with visual feedback ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 03 Dec 2016, 12:45

Yes makes sense :)

physics can be shown by going to: Scene settings panel > debug physics meshes checkbox.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 03 Dec 2016, 13:19

This is not solution.You see physics only when run the game :(
A good 3D engine need edit mode visible physic changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHA7fzWPk5U
Skyline will be modern editor , not outdated editor ;)
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 05 Dec 2016, 19:12

Navmesh: Cant stop dynamic entities from being included in the generation of navmesh. [SOLVED]
For things to be considered in the navmesh system, an entity has to be set static first, which is ideal since using navmesh on objects usually dont move. This is available on the next update.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Active / New Bugs