This is where fixed bugs can be seen. Please do not post new bugs into this forum, it is purely to see what has been fixed and most topics will be locked.

Skyline Release V0.9.7.6 - Issue? (FIXED)

Skyline Release V0.9.7.6 - Issue? (FIXED)

Postby Sage1969 » 29 Jan 2016, 10:35

I recently upgraded to the full version engine and I am enjoying your efforts very much. I have however encountered an issue I can not seem to rectify. I am able to edit and create fine so far but when I try to view my work in the Player from inside the editor or export work to an .exe both load but upon completion the screen goes black. The Skyline animated load screen does show and seems to function fine.

I can hear things in the background but can not see anything, nor am I able to exit or close the player or get back to desktop once in black screen. (btw F11 does not work anything in editor either can click it all day...other F keys work though) I end up having to hard shut down my system and reboot... not good. I have scoured the forums and tried every fix I found for same and similar issues posted without luck. (no post stuff, forced update, run as admin. etc. etc.) I did not expect some things to do anything being 9.7.6 version but tried them anyway.

I have tried on multiple systems and interchanged video cards in each but have the same issue on all:

4GB Geforce 980Ti, 4GB GeForce 970GTX, 4GB GeForce 745,

1.) i5 and/ i7 Quad cores, 16GB, Win7 x64
2.) AMD FX 8 core, 16GB, Win7 x64

I have continued using the editor saying I will deal with it when I need to but I would really like to play test some things in a game environment.

At a loss, can anyone help?
Sage1969
Skyline Ensen

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Concept artist
Skill: Great creative

Re: Skyline Release V0.9.7.6 - Issue?

Postby SolarPortal » 29 Jan 2016, 13:52

Hi Sage1969, Welcome to the Forums :D
First, we would like to apologize for the problems you are experiencing.

This error is mighty peculiar and i don't believe we have encountered this before. Please can you package up the demo in its player form and send a copy to me through a PM. I can check to see if it happens on my computer and also run a few tests on the exe's to see if anything is happening.

Black screens were usually associated with post fx, but as you say. This has all been disabled and must not be a cause of the problem.

Have you tried deleting your SkylineEXE.cfg & SkylineSettings.ini found in the Winxx_Release folder. Then try booting the game and see if you get a different response from it. If it works in the editor, then it generally works in the player and end game. Perhaps there is a missing or broken file for the base assets of the player or game. Sending the file for us to try will help immensely.

We will work with you on this problem to get it resolved :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer

Postby TattieBoJangle » 29 Jan 2016, 17:45

Have you tried deleting your SkylineEXE.cfg & SkylineSettings.ini found in the Winxx_Release folder.

Welcome Sage1969 the above worked for me when testing a while back not sure what it was down to as after it ran ok the files it created looked the same anyway does it run ok in f9 mode ?

Also if you move a game from one PC to another they files will need to be removed before you try and play it other wise it wont work something that will need to fixed down the line ;)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 29 Jan 2016, 18:35

Good idea Tattie. Changing video cards would result in a different .cfg file required.
Its definately something that needs fixed.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Sage1969 » 04 Feb 2016, 01:10

Thanks for the trouble shooting... I was still having no luck until I realized the only common item in all my test setups was my monitor (Hanspree 32" HDMI LCD) so I plugged into a different one and it worked! No more black screen. I was still confused as to why the Hanspree 32" did not work so I opened it up, cleaned boards, all connections and dusted thoroughly. After reassembly I still received black screen....Urrrrgh...lol.

Last try! I set it back to factory settings, the only thing that changed was a screen view setting being changed from "Full Screen" to "Fit" (Full being self explanatory & Fit being manually adjusting the screen fit to edges) It now works...Hmmm? No idea why the factory full screen works on the 28" Hanspree monitor but not the 32" Hanspree monitor. It could just be a board or hardware glitch with the monitor itself but I will now check the player on all my monitors and keep you updated if anything new shows up or I can confirm the issue source.

I could not be more impressed with the Skyline development system or the promptness of the help and support plus the fact that your suggestions were direct and actually related to my issue and not just cookie cutter "faq" answers. (much better than any other engine support system I have ever used, that is if they even answered me at all)
Sage1969
Skyline Ensen

Skill: Concept artist

Postby TattieBoJangle » 04 Feb 2016, 03:23

the Hanspree 32" did not work so I opened it up, cleaned boards

:lol: you are a braver man than me I would fail so hard if I tried that :lol: glad you got it working in the end.

After looking a little more looking I found the spec

Hannspree 32 Inch
Features
32" Widescreen LCD Panel
HD Ready
8ms Response Time
1366x768 Screen Resolution
500cd/m2 Brightness
1200:1 Contrast Ratio
2 x 10 watt Integrated Stereo Speakers

If it is the same one I could be wrong tho it could be down to the resolution as its 1366x768
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Feb 2016, 10:59

Your welcome :) Supporting our users is part of the service we wish to provide :D

well, there's a first for everything. My laptop screen runs at the same resolution and doesn't have any black screens, but it is a weird bug.

As Tattie said, opening it up and working on it would result in a broken monitor for me aswell lol :P I tried to change the screen on my old s3 phone, but ended up doing more damage lol :P

Glad you are running again though :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Fixed Bugs