This is where fixed bugs can be seen. Please do not post new bugs into this forum, it is purely to see what has been fixed and most topics will be locked.

Orcs can see through Walls

Orcs can see through Walls

Postby Shando » 28 Dec 2014, 22:19

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is a bug, or not??

I've put together a Dungeon Level using Dexsoft's Dungeon Creation Kit, and placed a couple of the Orc AIs. The first Orc is at the bottom of a set of stairs (and round a corner), so shouldn't be able to see the Player until you get down the stairs and turn the corner. Unfortunately, the Orc starts shooting whilst the Player is coming down the stairs (I know cause the bullets travel through the walls and hit the Player :cry: ).

Is this an issue with the sensor system, or the Dexsoft models??

BTW I have set all of the Dexsoft models to use PhysX's MESH collision detection.

Finally, I get about 25-30fps (running in the Editor) with PhysX on, multiple point lights, about 25K Polys, multiple PU particles (torch flames), everything casting & receiving shadows, and a firefight with a couple of Orcs 8-) (that's on my Alienware 17" laptop using a GTX770m)

Regards

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Orcs can see through Walls

Postby SolarPortal » 29 Dec 2014, 14:21

lol, the orks can only see you when there raycast can hits you.

the visual bullets do go through the wall though, they are supposed to stop shooting when they dont see you though.
> have you forgot to put physics on the stair walls lol :P
> Do the walls on the stairs have a backface? as mesh physics will only replicate whats there and may be shooting through as there is no physics. (next point)
> Physics Mesh is the slowest of all the colliders, where possible use a simpler shape to speed things up.
> In the "Presets\Skyline Scene Types\Physics Colliders" are some presets that are used as physics colliders, they use a box shape but you can place as many as you want in scene, as long as you keep within range of the scene entity count (now 4000 for commercial indie) (1000 for free versions). If you use these colliders though, remove the actions of the scene entities using mesh.

As for the speed, in a forward renderer, multiple lights can cripple performance. Just remember to:
> stop casting shadows on some lights to save performance,
> set the visible distance of the lights to turn them off when out of range. The frustum cull will turn the lights of for you though.
> i know the materials are not as good, but you could try using deferred. (multiple lights accepted apart from directional), plus you will need to lower the attenuation on the lights to stop them shining so much.

We are looking at how we can make a lightmapping system to speed performance up for forward rendering.

Hope this helps :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby Shando » 30 Dec 2014, 00:16

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

I did have Mesh Physics on the walls, but I believe that these Dexsoft models don't have backfaces :(

In the "Presets\Skyline Scene Types\Physics Colliders" are some presets that are used as physics colliders, they use a box shape but you can place as many as you want in scene, as long as you keep within range of the scene entity count (now 4000 for commercial indie) (1000 for free versions). If you use these colliders though, remove the actions of the scene entities using mesh.
- Great to know!!!! makes life so much easier on an dungeon-type scene :P

I was actually trying to say that I was happy with the speed considering what was going on in the Scene 8-)

One last question, do we have shadows for Point Lights yet, as I can't seem to get them to work??

Regards

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 30 Dec 2014, 13:16

point light shadows are there, but they are based on the same as a spot light atm. They need to be changed to use cubemap shadowmaps to get full 360 shadows.
if anyone has any ideas with ogre3d and point light shadows, let us know and we will see what we can do.

the shadow cameras themselves will be rewritten at some point for better and more stable shadows.
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby Shando » 30 Dec 2014, 22:11

Hi SolarPortal,

Thanks for the reply.

Just wondering if you'd looked into using Dual Paraboloid Mapping for Point Lights?

http://gamedevelop.eu/en/tutorials/dual-paraboloid-shadow-mapping.htm

http://members.gamedev.net/JasonZ/Paraboloid/DualParaboloidMappingInTheVertexShader.pdf

Both the above are written in HLSL, can't seem to find one for Cg??

HTH

Regards

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 31 Dec 2014, 12:38

Thanks, we will take a look at some point :D