Showcase
Showcase your work that you have created in the Skyline Game Engine.

Tunnels Of Tarkus

Re: Tunnels Of Tarkus

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 16 Jan 2016, 08:14

What about the models included with the engine...like the Fell Hound....???...Are the included models OK to use???
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 16 Jan 2016, 12:34

They are only meant as test / dev assets until we can create some base enemies and characters that are commercially viable for the first release of skyline.

Here is the fellhound link: http://3drt.com/store/characters/felhound-monster.html
Here is their license agreement for purchased assets on their store. http://3drt.com/store/terms-of-use-license.html
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 16 Jan 2016, 19:34

OK, thanks for the info...I'm sure this info is in the SkyLine license somewhere...But being the lazy type person I am, I thought I would just ask...I will start replacing....I will buy some of the models from the site above though...I must have looked over this site...Thanks...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 16 Jan 2016, 22:54

no problem, we try our best to keep on top of licenses, but some things can slip through.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 18 Jan 2016, 09:39

I finally have a new video up...Had to change the music...A lot of work went into getting all of this to work together, even though a lot of that work is not visible...Still waiting on some better water...This water would be OK with a directional light, but not very good with spotlight...A lot of thanks goes to SolarPortal and the SkyLine Team for their help with scripting and updates to the engine...Here is the newest video...I do not have all the enemies in game now due to getting killed all the time while I'm testing...That's why I make games instead of play them...I suck at playing them...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 18 Jan 2016, 11:06

excellent! so many mechanics all working together now. Its looking more and more like a game each video :D Great work!
Yeah, saw the water, bit strange with the flashing, but the level is still very impressive.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 18 Jan 2016, 17:39

Oh wow dude, you rock Skylines world!
This is developing great, love the level design simple yet so effective the sign of a good game. :D

Hint: When I am developing with AI I generally set them to have a low attack damage so the player takes less harm and set the players weapon to have a high damage to get one hit kills. Better when play testing a layout.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to the next instalment of Tunnels of Tarkus :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative

Postby epsilonion » 18 Jan 2016, 18:18

I may consider making a hit box for the monsters head so if you shoot it in the head it does more damage..

It's an option..
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 18 Jan 2016, 19:21

SolarPortal wrote:excellent! so many mechanics all working together now. Its looking more and more like a game each video :D Great work!
Yeah, saw the water, bit strange with the flashing, but the level is still very impressive.

Thanks, There is starting to be a lot of things running at the same time...I've seem a lot more impressive levels, but I kinda want to keep it old style...I think there is still a place for old style games...

by StarFire » 18 Jan 2016, 11:39

Oh wow dude, you rock Skylines world!
This is developing great, love the level design simple yet so effective the sign of a good game. :D

Hint: When I am developing with AI I generally set them to have a low attack damage so the player takes less harm and set the players weapon to have a high damage to get one hit kills. Better when play testing a layout.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to the next instalment of Tunnels of Tarkus

Thanks, My goal is to keep level simple and game play intense...When I have everything in the game, it gets so intense that you barely have time to notice the bare walls and cheap textures...Thanks for the hint...I will try that...

Post by liamgibbins » 18 Jan 2016, 12:18

I may consider making a hit box for the monsters head so if you shoot it in the head it does more damage..

It's an option..

This is a great idea...The game still has a long way to go...By myself and without an artist, I just do the best I can...One thing at a time...Like I was telling StarFire, the game gets very intense and requires a lot of running forwards and backwards with a lot of ammo...There are areas that are slower paced, but for the most part, the gun barrel gets pretty hot....

I just want to say thanks to you guys and gals for the encouragement and ideas...I know that the artwork is lacking, and the game is full of free assets from the dark corners of the internet,and the game play needs to be updated past 1995...But, I am glad to be here working with SkyLine, and this awesome community...Go SkyLine!!!
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby StarFire » 18 Jan 2016, 20:04

:D :D :D

Yes I can see how the game could get intense, tension and surprise is the name of the game. I think if it can engage and immerse the player into the world of Tarkus it wont matter too much on looks. Hey if Nintendo can put a game like Zelda on a small handheld that has the resolution of a postage stamp and keep people playing for hours, 'yeah was talking about me lol'.

So to sum it up; A great looking game with out game play, oh too many to mention, against something that has a little charm ;)
but could play awesome!. I think its a no brainer as we in the uk say. Game play wins all the time.
Then you still have the option of a future makeover to polish up any rough edges, hehe Skylines new renderer is looking awesome.
:D
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 18 Jan 2016, 20:35

hehe Skylines new renderer is looking awesome.

How will this affect my current project...???...Will I have to make a lot of changes...???
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby StarFire » 18 Jan 2016, 20:40

We will get you through it and automate where possible. ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 18 Jan 2016, 20:57

How will this affect my current project...???

lol, Its gunna make it look awesome!!!!! :P :P Good shadows with working spotlights and ambient control much the same. Materials will take a bit of work, but as StarFire says; we will try to smooth out the rough parts :P

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby epsilonion » 18 Jan 2016, 22:06

DX11 will make a hell of a difference on the way the game looks (if thats what your talking about), I have been playing with Un**al Engine and I love the Idea of the metalic, roughness settings in the material.

Some amazing work has been produced with DX11 life like architecture etc its all about getting the lighting right.. :D

Can not wait to get my hands on it in Skyline.. :D
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Postby StarFire » 19 Jan 2016, 16:46

I do and dont agree lol
DX11 does open up the shader to more variables and some new features such as geometry shaders, in some cases a performance boost as they fixed dx9 issues. With these and other features top shader devs are creating some great visuals. But generally does this make a game look better.....

PBR (the roughness, metallic) is a current unified(across all engines) modern material design technique, which we are adding to Skyline to keep in line with current tech ;) . Did the older games which were touted as realist visuals look any worse?? realistic is realistic.
What the PBR does give is an easier material workflow for the beginner who can not write custom shaders. Think about Cryteks DX9 demos these were awesome and dont look any better today.

The other thing that can make a huge difference in the visual and performance area is a pro 3d game art team. The other top engines still have a lot of poor looking user demos,rather than awesome tech reels.

I personally like the new DX11 tessellation and looking forward to playing with it. ;)

But ultimately its the game play that matters some awesome games have been made on dx9 and I am sure there will be some duff ones that look great on dx11.

Ultimately a great game is a great game however it looks! :D

We are soooo... looking forward to some fixed shadows and lighting in Skyline hehe :D
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 19 Jan 2016, 20:15

We are soooo... looking forward to some fixed shadows and lighting in Skyline hehe

Me too!!!
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 04 Feb 2016, 02:58

I am still working...I have added some more traps and should have another video up soon...I had some programming errors that took a while to figure out...Overall the engine is holding up good...I have one issue where the new trap I made only causes damage when played in editor...It will not cause damage when played in the player...This is confusing because the other traps cause damage in both...It may just need a restart of SkyLine to fix it...Otherwise it gives me something to figure out...A programmers dream!!!...I am still loving SkyLine, and intend to finish this game with it...Nothing is going to stop me...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby TattieBoJangle » 04 Feb 2016, 03:26

always look forward to seeing new videos m8 :D as well as getting to play it one day ;)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 04 Feb 2016, 05:23

TattieBoJangle wrote:always look forward to seeing new videos m8 :D as well as getting to play it one day ;)

Thanks m8....I am still running behind schedule...I plan to release the first level for free...I then plan to sell unlock codes to unlock new levels in the SkyLine Asset Store...They will be at a cheap price to help with further development costs....This is just an idea...Then I plan to release a full game version at a single price with all levels unlocked...

The amount of time it is taking me to complete one level, by myself, is crazy long....If I ever get past the first level, I believe things will go faster...CO
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Feb 2016, 11:40

That sounds like a game coming together ;) We too are looking forward to playing with this game.

Then I plan to release a full game version at a single price with all levels unlocked...

Would this be a game that you greenlight on steam?

Keep it up! :D

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 04 Feb 2016, 19:21

SolarPortal wrote:That sounds like a game coming together ;) We too are looking forward to playing with this game.

Then I plan to release a full game version at a single price with all levels unlocked...

Would this be a game that you greenlight on steam?

Keep it up! :D

I have thought of the greenlight method...Being that this may be the first game that I will have ever completed from beginning to end. I would just like to have it out there so I can get honest feedback from our community here...I have seen not so nice feedback for games on steam, that can injure a reputation of a developer...I can take information gathered from here, and fine tune the game for greenlight...This is a learning process for me...I am open for any advice or suggestions...Thanks for all your hard work on the engine, it is starting to show in my game...CO
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby StarFire » 04 Feb 2016, 19:40

Great to hear about your development CO. Just take your time and most of all have fun, enjoy the development of your game. This shows through to the end product and if you can have fun I am sure others will. And a note to the ney sayers, there is always going to be someone who will dis what you do and knock your ratings, just look at what's said constructively and if it doesn't have merit, merrily forge ahead.
When you are thinking you are getting close to a product we will happily provide advice on quality and game play so you could then be confidant.

Performance is going to have a massive increase with the new render core along with other visual errors rectified. So once you have your game looking as good as it can be, we should then have you some new mechanics improvements.

btw have you set up any of guis for game start?
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 04 Feb 2016, 22:25

btw have you set up any of guis for game start?

No...I have not set up any GUI or loading screens yet...I am hoping to get there in about a month...Then I will have to learn a whole lot of new stuff...I plan to add in a Menu... Loading, Saving, New Game, and Exit Game...Plus a Start Screen while game is loading...My wonderful wife will do the opening narration...She has a great mic voice...CO
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 05 Feb 2016, 13:30

Awesome that your wife is getting involved too :) As for GUI, yes lots to learn. LiamGibbins, learned the GUI system and made his own splashscreens, so he may be able to share some experience and knowledge on the matter :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 25 Feb 2016, 22:22

Well...Still running behind schedule...Had some difficulties with passing global variables...Got this worked out thanks to the SkyLine Development Team...Should be smoother sailing from here on...(Fingers Crossed :? )...
#1...Finish Level
#2...Optimize Code
#3...Setup GUI's and Start Screen :shock:
#4...Get wife to record opening narration 8-)
#5...Polish Level
#6...Setup respawn for Player
#7...Setup teleport for next level
#8...Package game
#9...Provide download for community testing
#10...Fix errors and bugs provided by SkyLine Community

I'm sure a lot more little gotcha's will pop up in this process, and the list may not be in exact order... But, I gotta start somewhere... :)
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase