Showcase
Showcase your work that you have created in the Skyline Game Engine.

Tunnels Of Tarkus

Re: Tunnels Of Tarkus

Postby SolarPortal » 25 Feb 2016, 22:39

cool, sounds very promising now :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 07 Mar 2016, 07:11

Just tested out creating a standalone .exe...It is not working...Just crashes after loading...The game is not finished anyway...Too tired and disgruntled now to try to find the cause...I would think that the engine should be capable of creating an .exe...Maybe when all the fancy features are finished, The basic engine functionality can be fixed...Not trying to say anything mean, but having a fully functional engine is way more important to me than graphics and shadows...CO
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 07 Mar 2016, 10:17

Sorry to hear that, but you should be able to export the game and was working last time i tried.
Please send me the game files in an archive so i can analyse where the fault is and potentially fix a bug :)

The player and end game may still have issues as they are a lot more untested than the editor lol :P

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 07 Mar 2016, 19:13

It seems that in the skyline.exe text document....There is about 35 feet long of compiler errors due to materials...I don't think that material scripts are being created correctly....I think it is listing every material in the engine....

Can you give me a list of what files I need to send to you...???
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 07 Mar 2016, 20:08

Export your game, go to the _compiled games folder at the root of the asset library. Package up the exported game inside and send it over. I will require everything in the game to boot it as there could be anything wrong without seeing where it crashes.
I can then create a new exe as i test it and overwrite the game file until it boots. Then i can release the patch and your game should then either load or need re-exported. :D This is the process we have used to fix other exes that were exported into the engine that broke.

We will not play the game or reuse the assets as its part of the tech support, our only purpose would be to fix the end game exe.

Q) Out of curiosity, does it crash exporting a simpler scene?

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 07 Mar 2016, 20:13

Q) Out of curiosity, does it crash exporting a simpler scene?

I made an exe with the door tutorial scene from the tutorial that I made...It does work, but the particle effects for the fps player show up as giant white particles and are no longer attached in any way to player....But is does run the exe...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 07 Mar 2016, 21:20

ok, that's good. It means there is something unique in your scenes that the others do not have and is likely a simple mistake in code as it has been many times before lol :P
What if you save your scene that doesn't work and narrow it down by deleting bits and exporting(turn features on/off e.g. skyx, postfx, hydrax, delete meshes / mechanics, etc... ), then run the game to test, repeat etc... ....or send the scene so we can fix it :)

Also, did you use an archiving type when exporting your game?

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 08 Mar 2016, 00:22

Also, did you use an archiving type when exporting your game?

I have tried it archive and no archive...both crashed...

What if you save your scene that doesn't work and narrow it down by deleting bits and exporting(turn features on/off e.g. skyx, postfx, hydrax, delete meshes / mechanics, etc... ), then run the game to test, repeat etc...

This would take hours upon hours, as my game has become quite large...

I may just wait a while before making an .exe...I was just going to test to see if it would work...Since it doesn't work, I have a big decision to make...Do I want to keep making the game with SkyLine, and avoid losing all the work put in...?...Hoping that it will be able to export at a later date...OR...Start over somewhere else?...

This is a hard decision to make....

Thanks for the help....CO
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Mar 2016, 11:34

Very sorry for hearing this, but we feel the easy decision would be to stay and work with us as we fix the exe as we are still in beta and it was something that would eventually crop up.

1) We have been thinking and we can create a new game .exe with more debug information that might help pin point where it crashes on load after a couple of goes and this would only require you to replace the exe in your exported game folder each time and run it to test then. So this only requires 1 game export that you reuse for each test.

To save cluttering this game thread, it may be best to deal in PM or email. Which do you prefer?
We will get this issue solved so you can know your game can be exported.

General rule of thumb with skyline, If it runs in the editor, then it should run in the player / game. If not, then it is something that can be fixed.

2) Can you send me the current "Skyline_TechSupport.txt" & "SkylineEXE.log" from your
"$(Asset Library)\_CompiledGame\$(GameName)\Bin\Win64" so i can check where about's it gets to for more debug information.

3) Q) Does the game boot in the player?

I will get the exe to you asap to try once i have the log files and we will get to the bottom of this :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 08 Mar 2016, 13:35

Sorry to hear you are having game exe issues. :shock:

This will be the first time that Skyline has been used on a large game level and tried to be exported to end game. We have made lots of tests on smaller scenes and the general export code works on these but never have we tried a large scene such as yours. So you are breaking new ground for Skyline! :D

One small step for humankind and one giant leap for Creative Occlusion lol :lol:

With a little bit of nudging and tweeking we will get your scene exporting, personally I am excited about this ;)

Thank you again for your patience :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 08 Mar 2016, 18:25

StarFire wrote:Sorry to hear you are having game exe issues. :shock:

This will be the first time that Skyline has been used on a large game level and tried to be exported to end game. We have made lots of tests on smaller scenes and the general export code works on these but never have we tried a large scene such as yours. So you are breaking new ground for Skyline! :D

One small step for humankind and one giant leap for Creative Occlusion lol :lol:

With a little bit of nudging and tweeking we will get your scene exporting, personally I am excited about this ;)

Thank you again for your patience :D

Sorry if I came off rude in any way...I just get frustrated sometimes...I know that SkyLine is still in beta and know there will be issues when I push it as far as I have....One thing I forget sometimes is the proven help of the development team...I know when I get the demo ready to release that the SkyLine team will help get the problems ironed out...

I'm glad to see that you are excited....There is still a lot of work to be done, but everything is coming together nicely...

1) We have been thinking and we can create a new game .exe with more debug information that might help pin point where it crashes on load after a couple of goes and this would only require you to replace the exe in your exported game folder each time and run it to test then. So this only requires 1 game export that you reuse for each test.

To save cluttering this game thread, it may be best to deal in PM or email. Which do you prefer?
We will get this issue solved so you can know your game can be exported.

General rule of thumb with skyline, If it runs in the editor, then it should run in the player / game. If not, then it is something that can be fixed.

2) Can you send me the current "Skyline_TechSupport.txt" & "SkylineEXE.log" from your
"$(Asset Library)\_CompiledGame\$(GameName)\Bin\Win64" so i can check where about's it gets to for more debug information.

3) Q) Does the game boot in the player?

I will get the exe to you asap to try once i have the log files and we will get to the bottom of this

[1] I will get with you on PM soon...I like the idea of more debug info...

[2] I will get these logs soon...I am back to work this week so it may be a couple of days...

[3] The game plays in player with only one issue...There is a gate that opens when a lever is activated...The gate is openened just by changing it's position...The physics is removed at this time...In the editor this works perfectly...In the player the physics are not removed...This only happens on this one gate...All other doors and gates work in editor and player...The code looks good, but I will keep looking at it...

I do appreciate all of your help and will get this info to you as soon as I can...I will PM you when all is ready to download...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Mar 2016, 22:00

No worries, all is well :) We will try our best to help if possible :)

There's no pressure, so take your time :) We are here and ready to help when you are able to.

So it works in the player... interesting. As you said before, it could be a missing asset or file that has gone rogue.
One thing i do remember is: files that are referenced inside lua script need to be passed through the function and not a variable in order to be scanned and parsed into the resource. It is something we wish to rectify, but haven't happened along the opportunity to fix it yet. For example

Code: Select all
-- | This Will be picked up by resource collector
entity.spawnPreset("myPreset.preset")

-- | This Won't be picked up by resource collector
local presetName = "myPreset.preset"
entity.spawnPreset(presetName)

I also saw the FPS shooting problem with the particles. It is because the particles used for the weapon exist in an .ark file in the asset library as they are protected assets and we thought they were not able to go out, but we should release a .pak version as well so the end game will pick them up and use them. :) Will have to plan some time for this.

One way or another, your game will be up and running when you are ready :D

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 08 Mar 2016, 22:06

One way or another, your game will be up and running when you are ready
:D :D :D
Thanks
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 20 Mar 2016, 04:20

Finally, I have a new video ready...There is a long loading time at the beginning...Just skip over to 1.13 and it will start up quick...Thanks goes to the SkyLine team for all their help....

This is the sixth video in the series...Still a lot of work to do...There are only enemies at the beginning of the level...

CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby TattieBoJangle » 20 Mar 2016, 04:31

:o You have been busy :o

Its great to see it coming along and good size level at that, cant wait to see what for video 7 now :D
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 20 Mar 2016, 07:11

Thanks Tattie....I am still working on it a little every day...I have not got the publish an .exe figured out yet...When I get a few more things sorted out, I will get SolarPortal to help me get the .exe ready, and release the first level for our community to test out, and give feedback...Also, thanks for all of your video tutorials...I would be lost without them...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 20 Mar 2016, 15:55

Well done m8 :) It just keeps improving! :D
All the mechanics really make the game active and yes, when you are ready we are here to help finish this game by fixing the remaining bugs and issues.

I wonder what this game would look like in the new renderer ? lol :P

Keep it up and i look forward to seeing video 7 :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 20 Mar 2016, 15:57

This is looking very cool, all of the mechanics are coming together and the feel of the game is now starting to show. :D
We are with you on development as once we get you upgraded and help you with some of the areas to get them smooth for you, we would like to use this level in our Skyline Game engine video promotion. :D

Keep up the great work :D
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 20 Mar 2016, 19:53

I wonder what this game would look like in the new renderer ?

I have a feeling it will look much better....

We are with you on development as once we get you upgraded and help you with some of the areas to get them smooth for you, we would like to use this level in our Skyline Game engine video promotion.

I would feel honored for you to use the level for promotion...I was planning on uploading final video to some of the indie game dev sites to help promote SkyLine...I was going to ask for permission of course...The level itself is nothing but a bunch of connected cubes exported from Blender...I did the plain cube to to go with the minimum amount of poly count for the level itself...

I would like to thank The Devs and the entire SkyLine community for all of their help on this project...I have been working on it for 9 months with SkyLine as of today...I started it with Lead****s, 3 months before...Switching to SkyLine was the best decision I've made for the project....I do need to get more work time in for the next level though...1 year per level would lead to 20 year completion...haha... :lol: :lol:
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 20 Mar 2016, 21:06

You welcome :D We will always try to help our community to the best of our ability :)

.I do need to get more work time in for the next level though...1 year per level would lead to 20 year completion...haha... :lol: :lol:

20 years :shock: lol... definitely sounds like more hours required :lol: :P :P

Great news on the promotion for skyline and of course, you have a commercial license, if you can export it then you can sell it or promote it.

On the new renderer, indoors is a lot more doable with the light compatibility now and it also doesn't have those spotlight errors when facing a particular direction plus good shadows :) But its great to see a game made in the current version of skyline :D Big Respect :)

Keep it up and we look forward to the next stage!

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 20 Mar 2016, 21:12

Your welcome CO. :D
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 20 Mar 2016, 21:33

20 years :shock: lol... definitely sounds like more hours required :lol:

I believe it will go much faster...A lot of that time included learning SkyLine and working through bugs...

But its great to see a game made in the current version of skyline :D Big Respect

Thanks SolarPortal...Respect from someone with your abilities is great to have, and touches me deep....But..."BIG RESPECT"...Almost brought a tear to my eyes... ;)

On the new renderer, indoors is a lot more doable with the light compatibility now and it also doesn't have those spotlight errors when facing a particular direction plus good shadows

OH MAN!... :mrgreen: ...These spotlight errors upset me almost every day :x ...It will be so good to see them go away.... :roll:

Thanks again....CO
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby StarFire » 20 Mar 2016, 21:38

:D :D
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 28 Mar 2016, 07:52

Making some progress...Purchased the felhound included with skyline, and some other models...
Got the radioactive green slime working to where it injures player more, the longer he stays in it...
Got spinners working and injuring player...

Next is:
To get the teleporter working...
Add the boss model in and get AI setup...
Setup a respawn system for the player when he dies...
Setup gold pickups to increase score...
Setup loading and menu screens...
Setup end of game screen and credits screen...

I'll start with this and see how many problems I can create for myself along the way...

This is just a update to keep anyone interested informed...Or maybe it is just a list for me so I don't get distracted, and have a list to go by...CO
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby TattieBoJangle » 28 Mar 2016, 10:31

man i am jealous i stopped to wait for the update :oops:

To get the teleporter working

This should be easy i think liam made a script for it.

Setup a respawn system for the player when he dies

Yea it would be nice if the new player has the option to change the lives on the panel rather than code.

But good to see it coming along :D
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase