Show off you work to the community for peer review.

making preset buildings

making preset buildings

Postby lordalmighty1 » 20 Jul 2015, 10:45

here is a screenshot of some buildings I have been making presets for, each building is made up of 4 parts 2 roof and 2 wall parts.
these buildings come from unity asset store.
the problem im having though at the moment with these is not being able to quickly select all the parts from the hierarchy for moving them. and if im not careful I pull the building apart lol :(.

would be nice to be able to lock them as 1 entity for moving somehow. and all parts of the building forming some kind of hierarchy sub tree. something like main building as 1 entity, then a tree of parts under that. (I know this is planned at some point.)
other than that im having fun putting these together and seeing what they look like in skyline.

here is a video of the pack in unity, which I hope to be able to making similar with skyline. (much later on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMWRsDzrGMU
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Level Designer

Re: making preset buildings

Postby SolarPortal » 20 Jul 2015, 10:58

We are planning on making a grouping system which will do exactly as you want :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby lordalmighty1 » 20 Jul 2015, 11:17

yeah np sp m8 :) thanks
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby lordalmighty1 » 24 Jul 2015, 10:30

here is the startings of a road system I have been working bit by bit on, over the last couple of days for the buildings above.
the non grey road sections you see will be the colour of all the roads after the skyline update is out.

there are some errors with the roads you might notice, but this is minor problem that I can hopefully hide when buildings cars and alike are added later.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Jul 2015, 10:39

Cool layout :) Look forward to seeing a town built with people roaming etc.. :)

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 24 Jul 2015, 10:43

hmm, im not exactly a people person... zombies on the other hand will do nicely muhahaha.. :evil: :lol:
but thanks m8. :)

I have a thought though I will pm you about m8.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Jul 2015, 10:50

lol. Lots of driving and running zombies down then hehe.... ;)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 26 Jul 2015, 23:21

@sp yeah with luck :)

here is a screen shot of a builds scale test not all the buildings was to the right scale yet though sadly more work and practice needed by me lol. but you get the idea..

not very organized or placed with any special thought or planning, just abit of a rush job for seeing them in a scene.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 27 Jul 2015, 05:32

Looks great...Keep it going...
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 27 Jul 2015, 09:03

wow, thats come a long way la1 :) really impressed.
I think that will be a great area for hunting down and shooting / driving through zombies :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 27 Jul 2015, 11:06

thanks you guys :)
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 27 Jul 2015, 11:30

Looking good, Cool to see a level developing m8 keep it up :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 27 Jul 2015, 11:55

it is, and I will :D.
lots to do of course rescaling the buildings which I will probably leave for the time being. align the roads and pathways better so no textures are fighting it out lol..(after update will be done). making the city abig 1, so im working on the layout for a week longer to 2 maybe. then comes the props for the roads. lights news stands bus stops etc and like. then onto the vehicles and buildings I think followed by some plants tree's parks areas and then zombies last. oh and somewhere in the middle I will add a skybox lol :D currently no skybox atm haha.

current thoughts, when the bake to a single mesh comes in I will use that a lot on the roads and buildings in an attempt to save fps overall, breaking the road system down into grids for baking to single mesh and easy move and replace on another map. (the current map size is 10k) but I probably make that smaller after the roads are layed out. doubt I use all 10k maybe 6-8 possibly smaller than that not to sure yet what with the inner city outer city residents/rural and factory areas being added to it.

still have to get some more models got my eye on some great assets :). should be interesting and fun with alittle patience and luck lol. oh and a update or 2 hehe, baking to single mesh update/ plus this next coming update will help a lot. :)
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 27 Jul 2015, 12:23

lol you gonna love the new asset pipeline, been playing with it and it flies through asset folders creating ready to use assets all with top notch shader so they all look great. There is also a new feature on the translation tool that if you find a mesh is out of scale just rescale then bake back to mesh, propper job!

Note if you are placing smaller assets such as signs , bins etc dont forget to set their visibility distance to a comfy value to save hassle later ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 27 Jul 2015, 13:08

StarFire wrote:Note if you are placing smaller assets such as signs , bins etc dont forget to set their visibility distance to a comfy value to save hassle later ;)

that will be something to remember certainly :) lol thanks for the tip
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby lordalmighty1 » 28 Jul 2015, 10:55

Image this screenshot is about as big as it can get without loosing sight of the roads placed.
so no more screenshots of the roads after today. lol.. in this screenshot I have added many new roads to the map, aligned all the road parts to the grid snap, using the grid snapping tool :). i was finished that stage this morning lol, though most of it was done lastnight by around 430am haha, it took forever lol!! and that is just the roads not pathway area in the middle yet.
what you see will get bigger though, I intend on adding a great deal of single lane roads around what is visible now.
hopes are to have an inner city, outer city, residents, factory/industrial, rural areas with some luck anyways..
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 28 Jul 2015, 10:58

That looks much tidier with no overlaps in sight. Great job! :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 28 Jul 2015, 11:04

thanks m8 :) yeah it does. took along time and patience but the tool helps :D. of course the newer tool would help a lot more hint hint hehe.. win10 release tomorrow so the question is will we have a new shiny skyline b4 or after the win10 install?. I have to admit im alittle anxious to know what will be out 1st lol and what will they both be like :).
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby TattieBoJangle » 28 Jul 2015, 11:06

so the question is will we have a new shiny skyline b4 or after the win10

hahah good question :lol:
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby lordalmighty1 » 28 Jul 2015, 11:08

also im abit unsure of how the win10 install will work, will we have to have reset codes to use skyline for a fresh os sp m8?.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 28 Jul 2015, 11:17

also im abit unsure of how the win10 install will work, will we have to have reset codes to use skyline for a fresh os sp m8?.

most likely. i did plan on getting a manual tool out for resetting codes. I'm sure that will be a quick tool to make though.
But if not, there are not many users though and we can just go through a complete reset for everyone.

A bit on the development update. We have been testing the system for 2-3 days making tweaks to code to make sure when released that it will work rather than, this folder doesn't work etc.. i am sure they will still happen though lol :P The workflow is starting to feel solid though. Funny enough it isnt the material rewrite that we are doing as that was only a small task of the whole prepare folder feature lol :P

Essentially we built the engine and now we are fine tuning it to give us the best output of files possible.
I would like to get an auto update out today or tomorrow and a full release over the next few days, got an early start today so we should be able to cover a lot of ground.

I am currently adding the last prepare feature option which will make creating material libraries from texture libraries very fast. All in all, its going well and its been more work than i personally banked on and with the amount of permutation with the way asset folders are setup is making it a hard task to nail lol :P

Windows 10: I am not sure what working state the engine will be on windows 10. From what i have seen from tattie, it should be fine, but spawning seems to be causing some issues. As usual, upgrading OS will cause code in older applications to start misbehaving, so we have got our eyes open and waiting for it to happen lol :P

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby TattieBoJangle » 28 Jul 2015, 11:28

Yea skyline seems to be solid in windows 10 the only problem I have came across is using a spawning script like solarportal said.

When upgrading to windows 10 it does give you the option to keep stuff so the licence may be intact when it loads back up but I would recommend a clean install because like everything it may work in 8 or 7 and not 10 not that I have came across anything that doesn't work.

And a little tip after the install right click on your hard drive and go to disk clean-up then clean up system files the reason for this is it stores your previous windows and files and can be large so if you have little hdd space left you know what to do ;)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 28 Jul 2015, 11:38

thanks good information tattie :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby TattieBoJangle » 28 Jul 2015, 11:48

:) also don't forget to back-up your projects I would recommend if you have another Hdd copying the following folder

Asset Library "Usually found at"

C:\Aurasoft\SkylineSDK\Asset Library

This will save everything and when putting it back after the install just copy the folder back it will ask you do you want to overwrite the files say No this will only put your files in and leave skylines files alone :) happy upgrading.
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby lordalmighty1 » 28 Jul 2015, 11:52

right o m8 thanks a lot :)
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator