Show off you work to the community for peer review.

Exile Online - Scifi Cyberpunk Sandbox MMO Pre Alpha

Exile Online - Scifi Cyberpunk Sandbox MMO Pre Alpha

Postby Prometheus » 07 Nov 2015, 12:37

Hey Skyliners.

This engine was recommended to us recently. I have to say i am impressed at what has been achieved so far. Our current development engine is facing difficulties and therefore we are highly considering Skyline as a first backup alternative should that engine go offline.

We were extremely close to being ready to move to kickstarter for additional funding. In terms of coded gameplay system and also 3D and 2D artwork, we were pretty well advanced in terms of production. I feel that a move to this engine would take several months of recovery to get back to where we were, which isnt overly horrendous.

Exile Online is an in-development sandbox cyberpunk MMO set in the far future as mankind stuggles to survive political and social strife in a never ending world of plot and subterfuge. Our game will take leads and inspiration from many corners of the scifi/cyberpunk genre including: Bladerunner, Akira, Judge Dredd, Deus Ex, Total Recall and several other sources.

Imagine a world where intrigue and multiple storyline twists can happen at any moment. We will be straying far from the "go here kill 10 rabbits" mission archetype that seems to be so prevalent in other MMOs of today. Our world will be a place where the actions of one individual can have global consequences and ramifications. Players can choose between 11 unique factions, capture and control outposts, purchase and furnish their very own penthouse apartments or join up with a group of their closest buddies to go kill some musclebound meatheads.

Main Features

Guilds/clans:
Exile online will feature in-depth guild mechanics. We believe guilds and clans are the heart of a game, so having diverse and interesting systems in place to encourage cooperative group play is what Exile online will be focused on.

Player Controlled towns/bases/outposts:
There will be powerful systems in place for guilds and players to create, take and hold territory. If a player is given a plot of land to defend, you can be sure they will fight tooth and nail to keep it.

Dynamic Avatar Creation:
Exile Online will make full advantage of advanced character creation and customization. Want that tattoo that your mother said you couldn’t have? Want to dress up in a pink metal Tutu? You got it.

Fully Player driven economy:
All of the best items ingame will be crafted by players. In one form or another, everything you have on your character will be crafted by you or another player.

Player Housing:
Players can furnish their apartments to suit their own style and tastes. There will be a massive and wide variety of decoration and furnishings to choose from. Go on…put up that gyrating pole dancing platform that you always wanted, we won’t judge you.

Innovative skill system:
Rather than force players to level from 1 to a finite number, our skill system will be fluid and varied. Players will not be forced to reroll a new character if they want to continue playing their first character. With time and effort, a player will be able to master every skill in the game.

Here is a short video showing one of our game areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ty4ZY46cJo

And some ingame screenshots.

Prometheus
Skyline Novice

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Re: Exile Online - Scifi Cyberpunk Sandbox MMO Pre Alpha

Postby TattieBoJangle » 07 Nov 2015, 12:48

That looks and sound cool Prometheus and I believe it could look even better in skyline ;)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller

Postby Prometheus » 07 Nov 2015, 12:55

TattieBoJangle wrote:That looks and sound cool Prometheus and I believe it could look even better in skyline ;)

I believe it could. I have also recommended Skyline to the other developers that were using the previous engine should it fail.

We are primarily located within the UK.

The main things we would love skyline to have are the networking capabilities to make an MMO or large scale multiplayer and also the same kind of cloud based development platform that our previous engine had.

I see these are on the engine development roadmap which is great to see.

Any questions about our game let me know. Cheers.
Prometheus
Skyline Novice

Postby SolarPortal » 07 Nov 2015, 14:21

Hi and Welcome to the Forum Prometheus :D It would be great to see your games developed on our engine.
This all sounds great, we have seen your message and my colleague StarFire will respond later :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer

Postby Prometheus » 07 Nov 2015, 17:29

New angle shot of our downtown city sector.

Prometheus
Skyline Novice

Postby StarFire » 07 Nov 2015, 20:54

Hi and welcome to Skyline :D

Your timing may be spot on as we have come to the end of a development phase and preparing what features and tools are going to be implemented in the next phase. The new Dragon Rider project has outlined a few areas where we personally would like to see Skyline grow to help our personal projects and that is Cloud development and networking. We still have a meeting to plan and finalise the new features but cloud dev/Networking is so high in the list there is no oxygen for it lol.

We will start a thread soon for the community to have their say in what is to be next added before we commit to
development ;)

There are many other areas such as lighting, occlusion culling, hardware instancing and improvements to the vegetation and effects systems which will be getting looked at over the next dev period.

Personally I feel within the next 12 months we will see a big jump in Skylines game making capabilities and a game such as yours should be possible and will look awesome.

When do you need to decide on a new engine?

As with all our Skyline users we will endeavour to get you your required features as soon as it is humanly possible. :D
We certainly hope you find Skyline your new home but if not we do wish you great success with your project :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Prometheus » 08 Nov 2015, 16:25

Skyline is attractive to us as it is up and coming and is being actively developed. The only worry currently is the small community of developers. With our old engine the community was tiny and really not very active. Participation in tutorial creation and showing of personal game projects was never encouraged at all.

What are your plans going forward to promote the hell out of your engine, bringing in more developers and spreading the word about the engine?

Ive seen some great looking indepth tutorials on how to work within skyline, which is good to see as it shows dedication and a willingness to disperse information amongst the various teams that work within the engine.

Currently, we are still waiting on final word as to the disposition of our current engine. Should it fail i would say that it would do so within the next couple of weeks. If that happens we will move straight to skyline and highly encourage the rest of the other development teams to follow suit.

We would come to Skyline and start to develop our game with the same systems as before, and await the addition of the multiplayer networking and cloud based live development which is when we would be able to really take off.

I would like your honest opinion about the ability to create an MMO within Skyline once raknet is integrated. With up to 30-60 people in an area at once.

Thanks again for your help.
Prometheus
Skyline Novice

Postby epsilonion » 08 Nov 2015, 19:21

Prometheus wrote:What are your plans going forward to promote the hell out of your engine, bringing in more developers and spreading the word about the engine?
Thanks again for your help.

Hi Prometheus, I am but a member of the community here, I have done some things to help get Skyline move view-able and continue to do so.

Some of the things I have done:

Mini Sites and back links from my websites (help SEO)
Facebook comments
YouTube comments
Youtube videos (a few)
Twitter posts and comments on twitter
Google Plus, comments etc etc
Developer Forums, posts etc
Reddit Posts (one of the largest online communities)
Something Awful Posts (Forum) one of the largest communities (online).
+ lots lots more.

I intend to keep up this work in the foreseeable future.

I am also updating the documentation soon to reflect some of the newer changes and will be doing a kindle free ebook when v1 comes out, a getting started ebook if you like.

Bellow is what I have so far and is due to change and can at anytime
http://eve-lbs.co.uk/downloads/skylinekindle.pdf

Just what I am doing has seen a increase in exposure over the past 6 months and this is all the free advertising stuff, I still want to get Skyline mentioned in LinkedIn.

I hope this gets you closer to answering your question.
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby StarFire » 09 Nov 2015, 18:27

Thank you for your post outlining your plans and issues.

What are your plans going forward to promote the hell out of your engine

We have a few members (thanks guys) who are helping where they can to promote Skyline. we are preparing for Steam Greenlight, promote our selves on IndieDB and ModDB, fackbook and twitter.
As you may know we are only a 2 person (family) development team so we have very little time to spend currently on promotion, we do what we can but most of our time our focus is developing Skyline and making sure we catch all the bugs and issues for the community and ourselves. We would love to see the community grow and more people move to Skyline and I believe it will when we get this next phase of development completed. ( game performance, lighting and fast easy mechanics).

I would like your honest opinion about the ability to create an MMO within Skyline once raknet is integrated.

I think my best answer would be “honestly I don't know” as there are still many features still to add, but this also depends upon what features you are going to require. We personally have an mmo game ip we would love to develop on Skyline and a few members who also require networking for their projects so it is highly probable for Skyline to have full mmo features. Then the other thing is how long it will realistically take to get a full mmo system in place, as I mentioned we are only 2 people and working on a budget of passion and determination. I personally would not say "we can do it" until it is done and Skyline has a tech demo to prove it.

We are planning our next features and networking and cloud dev are part of this but it could take the next 12 month to have a game tested mmo system. From our perspective Skyline is still a youngster with a lot of room to grow. What you will need to see is where we have come from, where we are now and know we are dedicated to Skyline and our community and try to make Skyline and awesome game development toolset.

Hope this helps :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Projects