As the venture in the realm of Shaders and materials you may encounter the odd obstacle. Please post your shader issue for the community to help.

Quick Question re: Team Colours

Quick Question re: Team Colours

Postby Shando » 06 Apr 2017, 11:57

Hi All,

Just a quick question....

I am planning a 4 player multi-player game that uses some buildings that I have purchased.

Each player will have the same buildings, but I need to distinguish between them somehow. What do you think is the best way to colour buildings to represent a team (roof, walls etc.)?

For example one of the buildings is shown below:

Here I have coloured the "skylights" only.

Currently, this model has about 20 different shading domains (each wall, each column, the skylights, the roof top etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Shando

PS: The players won't be able to zoom in to the same degree as the pic above, but it won't be too much difference (probably 2x).
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Quick Question re: Team Colours

Postby TattieBoJangle » 06 Apr 2017, 12:28

Hi m8 will it be a top down view sort of thing if not perhaps change the floor colour but if it is then the roofs like you said would be the best way to go.

I am planning a 4 player multi-player

Now this would be great to see hope its possible :P
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Great creative

Postby Shando » 06 Apr 2017, 12:42

Hi Tattie,

will it be a top down view sort of thing

Yes, I'm hoping to have a view as if from a drone at maybe 2x the distance shown in the pic (though the Player will be able to zoom out to see more of the game board).

I was thinking roof as well, but wasn't sure if there would be too much colour (I'm not great at this sort of thing as I like tons of colour, whereas most other people don't seem to :( In fact, I had to allow multiple skins on a GUI I did for WorldEngine as some of the feedback related, negatively, to my choice of colour scheme)??

What would you think of colouring the four columns instead??

Thanks for your input.

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby TattieBoJangle » 06 Apr 2017, 12:50

I'm like you I also like a lot of colour you could also have a sort of a light beacon coming out the middle, will also be cool to see a sort of top down strategy game my fav type of game :)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 06 Apr 2017, 12:58

I like colour in games but when it comes to apps, they need to be quite simple to be most effective.
The blue on the top skylights looks quite good and contrasted against the roof. I would colour the columns and and those bottom outcrops but leave the main building the base colour. Then when the world is populated it will look like its all made from the same material creating a believable world.

As for the networking, StarFire is close to adding the lua library you set up :)

Note: Once you have assigned all the materials for each team colour, save the entity as a preset and use that, then you dont need to set the materials up each time.
I believe storing the presets into the Game Objects folders in the Asset Library will allow them to appear on the bottom game object panel and be click placement enabled. StarFire would have more info but she is out at the moment :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby TattieBoJangle » 06 Apr 2017, 13:02

The light beam would also make it easy to see your base from afar

TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 06 Apr 2017, 13:03

that looks cool :)

Edit: Using the camera entity, it has an rts style camera that locks in at a certain direction/height and when the cursor gets to the edge of the screen it moves across.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Shando » 07 Apr 2017, 09:13

Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful advice ( what else would I expect from this community :D )

The light beam would also make it easy to see your base from afar

Tattie, that's a great idea!! Not something I'd thought of, but I think it's definitely worth pursuing.

Thanks again.

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Return to Shaders n Materials