A place where the topic is related to content creation.

Wind effect in skyline questions

Wind effect in skyline questions

Postby SpiderMack » 26 Sep 2017, 12:47

Hi,

Wind effect is pretty common on vegetation and can add extra visuals on other stuff like flags , decoration or fabric elements.

Some solution i seen in other 3D engine is to use vertex color for wind control on the model.
For example red color is vertex very affected by wind, while green color is no wind affect on the vertex.
This way artist can control what parts of the model are affected or not by wind and how much.

Is there some wind shader in Skyline, or is something planned ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Scripter

Re: Wind effect in skyline questions

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Sep 2017, 12:53

yes, you can find it on the 5th tab in the material editor. :)

Currently, it just applies to the whole mesh on which the material is applied, not good for trees that use 1 texture for trunk and leaves.

We also did play around with vertex animations and have them ready to use, certain tests previously worked quite well, but we found that most users would not know how to paint vertex colours to a mesh. It will be implemented after release though like many features :)

For now, this wind is what we have.... a vegetation system is being made too, that will apply wind etc...
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 26 Sep 2017, 16:29

Awesome it's already included :D

You are right, vertex coloring in modeler will annoy most people, instead some vertex painting tool in editor would be the must.

I played with the wind parameter and i noticed one issues :
Using sliders we can't manually enter values to make subtle wind effects, for example it's not possible to enter smaller values than 100 like 30,10 or 5 for example.

The wind is strange, whatever i use values like 50 or 10000 for the two sliders , the effect becomes strong over time and decreases before becoming strong again.

There is "Rim lighting" option in the same panel, will it be back for Gen 2 ? It could be cool for some effects or game graphics.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Sep 2017, 16:40

You are right, vertex coloring in modeler will annoy most people, instead some vertex painting tool in editor would be the must.

ha! this is a feature that has been planned as well as painting detail layers on a material based on a blend weight image.

I played with the wind parameter and i noticed one issues :
Using sliders we can't manually enter values to make subtle wind effects, for example it's not possible to enter smaller values than 100 like 30,10 or 5 for example.

The wind is strange, whatever i use values like 50 or 10000 for the two sliders , the effect becomes strong over time and decreases before becoming strong again.

The sliders are not yet used and should be disabled until they are used.

As for strength, this is because skyline has a basic wind strength/gust variations over time instead of a constant wind strength to make it look more natural. This has not been exposed to the end user yet.

There is "Rim lighting" option in the same panel, will it be back for Gen 2 ? It could be cool for some effects or game graphics.

Yes, this will be added back into gen2 at some point, but you can get a similar effect in specular workflow by setting fresnel to the bottom of the slider and reducing roughness, then change the specular colour to something else :)

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 26 Sep 2017, 16:51

I tested wind on some plant and it does not look usable because the base is moving while it should be rigid and stuck to the same ground place.
Vertex painting seems to be the way to control what parts will be moving and how much :)
You are right some wind power and frequency inputs will be needed to for the user to adjust wind for it's needs.

Are these wind planned for future releases or Gen 2 ?

painting detail layers on a material based on a blend weight image

You mean painting and blending textures on meshes like Unreal 4 vertex painter :o ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Sep 2017, 17:09

You mean painting and blending textures on meshes like Unreal 4 vertex painter :o ?

yes, similar, but it will work the current materials and just paint the blend weights image that you can also apply from the detail layer channel. Of course, mesh uv's would have to be 1 to 1.. e.g. plane

Are these wind planned for future releases or Gen 2 ?

Unsure at the moment, as there is more important things to fix, but it would follow very closely after release.

I tested wind on some plant and it does not look usable because the base is moving while it should be rigid and stuck to the same ground place.

There is a drop down on that tab that can change from leaves to trunk, which removes the ripple and provides more of a sway. The shader has a built in y position for the mesh, so we have a basic vertex color blend which stop the base of the tree moving while the top sways to give it at least a basic operation.
Larger objects will scale more than lower ones.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Content Creation