Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

Update

Update

Postby TattieBoJangle » 23 Nov 2017, 00:47

Any idea when the new update will drop ;)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Re: Update

Postby SolarPortal » 23 Nov 2017, 18:39

going for this weekend, but got stuck with an SSL library needed to activate the product.. No license, no skyline lol :P
Working as fast as humanly possible :P
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 24 Nov 2017, 22:45

SolarPortal wrote:going for this weekend, but got stuck with an SSL library needed to activate the product.. No license, no skyline lol :P
Working as fast as humanly possible :P

How many betas before Steam release ?

After release will you use Steam Beta update groups possibility instead ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: Scripter

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Nov 2017, 17:49

this should be the last major release of the Gen2 private alpha build that we are currently testing... but it all depends on what major bugs are found as too how it affects our release.

Our timeframe for releasing on our store will be sooner than releasing on steam as we just dont want the thumbs down right at the start, so we will ensure that it works to its best before releasing onto steam.

But if all goes well, we should have our store release at least in this year! :D

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Nov 2017, 23:57

Update is pretty much ready to go, just need to be able to connect and get it online, do a full test and then release :P
Also a new blog is being written as well as an immense change log :P

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 29 Nov 2017, 23:31

Great work on last update.
So many changes for the best :)
DX11, 64 bits and lot much more, good job guys.

BTW , nice splash screen.
But it's a little strange to have this in the logo "helping gamers create games" ? It doesn't looks Pro :lol:
I mean many popular 3D engines are to help people create games.

A logo or splash screen with only engine name is the way to go (Unity, UE4, CryEngine ...)

What do you think ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 30 Nov 2017, 22:08

Thank you very much :) Its took some doing but we got there in the end :P

But it's a little strange to have this in the logo "helping gamers create games" ? It doesn't looks Pro :lol:

This is an old quote from early skyline days where we were trying to get across the point of being a simple to use engine.
We can rethink it, but for now it doesn't harm :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 09 Dec 2017, 17:11

Hi,

Is there some other update planned with bug fixes like navmesh issues ?
I'm ready to test it again :lol:
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 09 Dec 2017, 17:23

havent got around to them yet as been setting up the new store... there is a couple things to add and we will try to get navmesh as part of it.. then release an update :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 16 Dec 2017, 14:08

@Spidermack, the navmesh fixes have been added and is much more stable now :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 16 Dec 2017, 20:11

SolarPortal wrote:@Spidermack, the navmesh fixes have been added and is much more stable now :)

Sorry, but it's still not there yet, it will need some more work :lol:
(No navmesh, no gameplay)

Are parenting objects in hierarchy view , prefabs, animation callbacks , all three essentials for after release ?

Good to see updates are making it into a stable release.
Is game project exporting and encryption fully functionnal ? or needs some work ? After navmesh this is the second most important feature i will test :)
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 16 Dec 2017, 20:53

please do test the exporter as it is now capable and has the *.pak encryption operational as of 2 updates ago. It is important we have users testing the exporter to make sure it works correctly. The only thing currently needed which will be fixed is that you have to make your own game manager and add the scenes to the list. but the default script and pause menu are usable by default with no changes.

Just make sure to name one of the added scene tags as "main"(without speechmarks and lowercase) to ensure the first level is loaded :) Look forward to hearing from you on this one as there is always something missed.

Also, to get the best results from exporting, once you have your game made, convert it to a project and then export from that as you will get the best results for every asset being available. :)

The navmesh fixes will be in the next update, as for the AI; you can always program it in yourself as the lua commands give you full access :)

Are parenting objects in hierarchy view , prefabs, animation callbacks , all three essentials for after release ?

Absolutely essential, these are a very high priority after the new release. Please bear in mind that it is Xmas so we will be taking some time off over Christmas and wont be fully back into the swing of things til January but we will remain in contact every so often to keep on top of things :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 16 Dec 2017, 22:17

SolarPortal wrote:please do test the exporter as it is now capable and has the *.pak encryption operational as of 2 updates ago. It is important we have users testing the exporter to make sure it works correctly. The only thing currently needed which will be fixed is that you have to make your own game manager and add the scenes to the list. but the default script and pause menu are usable by default with no changes.

Just make sure to name one of the added scene tags as "main"(without speechmarks and lowercase) to ensure the first level is loaded :) Look forward to hearing from you on this one as there is always something missed.

Also, to get the best results from exporting, once you have your game made, convert it to a project and then export from that as you will get the best results for every asset being available. :)

The navmesh fixes will be in the next update, as for the AI; you can always program it in yourself as the lua commands give you full access :)

Absolutely essential, these are a very high priority after the new release. Please bear in mind that it is Xmas so we will be taking some time off over Christmas and wont be fully back into the swing of things til January but we will remain in contact every so often to keep on top of things :)

About navmesh, the issue is saving the navmesh doesn't work. You can test it perhaps, but if you export your game and loading a scene game, navmesh data gets errors or is not saved, it's bad for the game :lol:

Scene tagged "main" , i think most of the time this will be the menu, or some intro 3D scene.
Sure i can test exporting, but i got no game in Skyline, just some basic scenes :lol:

About projects, i think like most game engines, you'll have to rework skyline and have "Project" as the main entry point to start working with Skyline. Users will have to create a new project or load one to be able to create scenes tied to that project.
I think this is one other even more very essential and priority point.

About other essential features, yeah keep them planned after christmas :)

I noticed some changes, like no more zombie AI in game objects panels list.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SpiderMack » 20 Dec 2017, 22:29

Is there some next update planned before holidays about major bugs ? Or it's better keeping it planned for next year ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby StarFire » 20 Dec 2017, 22:35

We hope to get an update out before the holidays :)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby epsilonion » 21 Dec 2017, 07:20

It was announced on discord last night (in the UK) that there is a code freeze and getting ready to merge code so I hope it will drop soon... :P
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Jan 2018, 18:18

Hi,

Is there some new update planned ? Or it's too soon.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Jan 2018, 12:41

too soon.. :P

We have only got back in the studio today, so will be easing back into the process and need to complete the store website :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 26 Jan 2018, 14:10

Hi,

It's almost February and no updates to correct critical bugs.
Is Skyline really going on Steam this year ?

I got another topic, but perhaps it's to early and it would need a bigger popularity.
Skyline dev is slow as any very small 3D engine, it's too much work i think.
What about proposing Skyline as open source ? Like Unreal 4 , you must get a license to sell a game, but users can get access to code source.
So anyone could fix bugs, bring new features, improve the editor; without having to wait months or a year for devs to look at specific bugs or to improve some usability.
( i would change the whole editor fps game like input how you navigate when editing scenes and make it similar to Unity lol )
Most changes could be evaluated and approved before considered beeing included in the main engine distribution.
I think it's a win win situation.

This is perhaps an option to really consider and to try once it will be available on Steam.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby epsilonion » 26 Jan 2018, 16:26

There has been many critical bug fixed over the last few patches and most of them have been addressed well ones that have been reported to the development team anyways.

If your experiencing a bug please report it on the forum or on discord.

Development has slowed a little due to having to update the web site(s) to meet the upcoming legislation that the Europe has started to roll out for data protection, so while they are doing that it makes sense to upgrade/date some other parts of the sites that need it (no point in doing half a job, there not known for doing half a job :D ).

So, that one reason development has slowed a little.
Another is because well people have time off to be with family during the Christmas period as expected.
They have done lots of work behind the scenes to get the websites and licensing system more update and more secure, not our version of skyline is mostly stable with the odd bug cropping up now and then they have split into different branches free, pro and studiopro (I think that it)... and making them be the way they are supposed to be.

As I understand it.
Skyline Gen 2 will be on the asset store soon and development will continue whilst the preparations to go full v1.0 release to get more features in (like the vegetation billboard system)and more bugs tested and corrected.

Even when released development will not slow down as there will be more features and that added like DLC etc..

Personally I think they are doing a great job and Skyline is very close to getting there just some of the features to port in from gen 1 and it will be a go. Not only that I can not wait to see the new documentation that will teach workflows and stop the repeated questions as you can refer to the doc's and video tutorials.

Talking about video tutorials Tattie has made them and is waiting for v1.0 release so he does not have to redo them every time there is a change in workflow etc, the new documentation site has had a face lift and looks miles more what its supposed to look like and just requires populating at the moment, all sites are now encripted with SSL, there has been loads done.
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby SpiderMack » 27 Jan 2018, 09:01

epsilonion wrote:There has been many critical bug fixed over the last few patches and most of them have been addressed well ones that have been reported to the development team anyways.

If your experiencing a bug please report it on the forum or on discord.

I posted them in the forum, like navmesh not working , physics rotation issue and some others.
Discord is a tchat app not a way to track bugs.
Why don' t you use a public GitHub ? anyone can submit and follow bugs ?
https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues

epsilonion wrote:
Personally I think they are doing a great job and Skyline is very close to getting there just some of the features to port in from gen 1 and it will be a go. Not only that I can not wait to see the new documentation that will teach workflows and stop the repeated questions as you can refer to the doc's and video tutorials.

Talking about video tutorials Tattie has made them and is waiting for v1.0 release so he does not have to redo them every time there is a change in workflow etc, the new documentation site has had a face lift and looks miles more what its supposed to look like and just requires populating at the moment, all sites are now encripted with SSL, there has been loads done.

Documentation is not what bothers me, even if it is needed for beginners to Lua or game creation.
Instead working re worked and clean lua examples we can learn from is perhaps more important.
There is many lua examples with copy and paste unecessary code , some broken, some features missing or incomplete.

epsilonion wrote:As I understand it.
Skyline Gen 2 will be on the asset store soon and development will continue whilst the preparations to go full v1.0 release to get more features in (like the vegetation billboard system)and more bugs tested and corrected.

Gen 2 has been in the works some years, and full release i think could take months or year even if it looks close like Gen2 was.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby epsilonion » 27 Jan 2018, 11:54

My advice would be to pop on discord and raise your concerns there as you will get a faster response from the dev's as it is set up for technical support because its faster for sharing files, if anything is lost in translation theres always voice chat etc etc.

https://discord.gg/3sa2FXX
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby SpiderMack » 27 Jan 2018, 17:42

epsilonion wrote:My advice would be to pop on discord and raise your concerns there as you will get a faster response from the dev's as it is set up for technical support because its faster for sharing files, if anything is lost in translation theres always voice chat etc etc.

https://discord.gg/3sa2FXX

I had to repeat multiple times navmesh didn't get saved before the bug get accepted and fixed.
With discord you can't follow bugs from creation to fixed state.

Well, i seen last blog update, and important feature like project manager, level loading events or publishing are ready.
Skyline is going strong but it needs terrain tools available again , the release on store and steam seems not so far perhaps.

I hope some new update soon with some bigs fixed like navmesh.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 27 Jan 2018, 18:07

Currently, we are trying to get what we have available on the store before we can start with the development process again, which as you say has been a little slow.... however, as @epsilonion has mentioned, we have been very busy and have redesigned the websites, licensing and created flow for the Lite version(free) with its limitations, pro and studio pro... On top of this, the licensing system has been advanced to be quicker and more secure and given each user the ability to reset their own license.

Skyline is close to a release and whole heartedly agree with the vegetation which is in dev, just haven't had the time to get back to it yet.

As for navmesh, this is the same as vegetation, its not forgotten about but first we need a product we can sell to keep the business model rolling and then focus on updates again for users....

Its a slow time at the minute, but things will be back on track before you know it :)

I will check out using github for the bug tracking. We used mantis a long time ago, but it was messy and very unwieldy..
A good bug tracking system with rankings on bugs and keep priority bugs at the top so the most essential get worked on first... but we do keep an in house list of all bugs and most of what you have posted is on it either as a bug or feature request.

This year is all about the business side and strengthening our product.. but this takes time...

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 27 Jan 2018, 21:29

SolarPortal wrote:This year is all about the business side and strengthening our product.. but this takes time...

I agree, Skyline is fully feature complete with last updates, some terrain features, some bug fixes and it should be ready.
What's will be needed is lot more marketing and adverts, while bug fixes and docs should be the main dev for Skyline.
New tools or features could be added as plugins by users.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Return to Off-Topic