The place to post mesh,and animation related hints and problems.

importing skeleton runtime error

importing skeleton runtime error

Postby razzer » 23 Feb 2018, 01:02

hi all , new to Skyline . I am trying to import the SK_skeleton from ue4 into skyline. it is an FBX file. in the asset manager when I click "prepare files for skyline" It goes for a bit then I get a runtime error and it shuts down skyline. it just says it was an unusual runtime error, but not much else. am I doing something wrong? thanks
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Re: importing skeleton runtime error

Postby SolarPortal » 23 Feb 2018, 13:05

Hi razzer :) Welcome to skyline :)

You are doing the correct processes, but not sure why it crashed on convert.
Does the FBX file contain the mesh and skeleton or only the Skeleton... As skyline would require the mesh and skeleton to work properly. Loading just skeleton FBX files is possible as they can contain additional animations but are imported alongside the main mesh FBX or added later using the mesh editor..
Q) Where was the asset placed (Asset Library, External)??

Would you be able to send us the files so we can debug and check the errors and put a fix in play :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby razzer » 23 Feb 2018, 14:08

well I'm off to work so I will check on this when I get home. I tried it with a tree as well and it did the same thing. I am new to these things so I may be doing something wrong, but I just am exporting the SK_mannequin (skeletal mesh) from ue4, then opening the skyline asset manager and selecting the folder on the left, it pops into the skyline window as skeleton FBX but when I try to prepare it for skyline I get the error.
I will see if I can send the file later , in the ue4 there is a folder called " mannequin" then 2 folders under that where 1 is "animations " and 1 is " mesh" and under the "mesh" is where the "SK_mannequin" is.of course in there is also a "ue4 mannequin" (skeleton),as well as a ue4 mannequin skeleton rig T pose(rig).and several animation poses. what I'm trying to do is get the character from ue4 into skyline with all the animations it has already. this is a third person character incidentally and is not actually the default ue4 mannequin as it comes from a third person template I purchased from asset store but it is the same skeleton(as ue4) with additional animations.
is there a place I can attach a file? thanks
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 23 Feb 2018, 14:25

You should now be able to attach files to the forum.
its located just under the submit and preview button.

Also sorry, its being hard for you to get the asset in... we will do what we can :)

Edit: Also sending the log files from the Bin\Win32 or Bin\Win64 folder can also help to locate a crash :)

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby razzer » 23 Feb 2018, 21:28

where are the Bin\Win32 or Bin\Win64 folders located?
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 23 Feb 2018, 21:34

They are in the directory where skyline was installed to "$(InstallDir)\Skyline Game Engine\Bin\Win_$(platform)"

Default location is C:\Aurasoft UK\Skyline Game Engine\Bin\Win32 or Win64.

Hope this helps :D

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby razzer » 23 Feb 2018, 21:47

well I think I installed under D drive because C has not much room. oddly when I did a search for Aurasoft UK(since this does not show up on D drive) , it shows under C/documents. when I go there , it is only Aurasoft UK/Skyline game engine/Usersettings/AssetLibraryprofile00. and that's it. also when I tried to upload the skeletal mesh FBX , forum says "cannot add another attachment, maximum is 0".
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 23 Feb 2018, 21:53

ok, i have changed the board settings, so you should be able to attach up to 3 files now..

To find your install, simply right click on the desktop icon for skyline and goto properties and then open file location. :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby razzer » 23 Feb 2018, 22:02

yes , I did that and it takes me to where the Skyline execs and all the other Skyline stuff is , but there is no bin folder , there is a bin folder just by itself in D drive, there is data and win 32 there. win 32 takes me to the skyline folder as well, but I don't see a win_$(platform file. only a cAudio engine log.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby razzer » 23 Feb 2018, 22:03

ok lets try the skeleton file again.well now it says the extension FBX is not allowed.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby razzer » 23 Feb 2018, 22:06

thanks for help so far, I am heading back to work (on lunch now) will be back around 5. should I maybe reinstall Skyline in the C drive? it seems kind of scattered between drives.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 01:12

I'm trying to reinstall it in the default C drive.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Feb 2018, 01:20

This is what the install looks like:

Clipboard Image.jpg
Clipboard Image.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 20571 times

and the files you are looking for are:

Clipboard Image (1).jpg
Clipboard Image (1).jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 20571 times

Perhaps i confused you because Lite version does not have 64bit if that is the version you are running....
Hope this helps :D I will be back in touch tomorrow as its past midnight here :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 01:41

well I reinstalled on C drive, all the folders are in one place , I exported the skeletal mesh to my desktop, after opening the asset manager it sees everything on the desktop except the skeletal mesh FBX. its like if I put in a folder then it will see that folder.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 02:31

right I am running the lite version to see how it works before purchasing. at this point it don't , I tried again to prepare for skyline the exported skeleton FBX ,also tried the whole mesh folder directly from ue4 , this folder has a few types of skeletons and some anim poses. with the exported skeleton FBX folder I got a runtime error " this application(Skyline), has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. please contact the apps support team for more info". then shuts down Skyline. with the whole mesh folder the converter.exe shuts down and message says "there is no disk in the drive , please insert disk into drive F". in the bin folder I only have data and win 32. in win 32 I do not see skyline.log , but I see skyline_techsupport , so I will attach it. also just above the skyline_hardwarecaps file , there is a plain "skyline" file , not sure if it is relevant but I will attach it .ok , so after attaching I see that it is Skyline.log. thanks for help
Attachments
Skyline_TechSupport.txt
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
Skyline.log
(85.72 KiB) Downloaded 685 times
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 02:47

I will also quickly say that after the mesh folder error a couple icons popped up on my desktop. one was a material sphere -M_Sci_Fi_UE4Man_Body_Inst-SKYMAT File (.skymat), and other was -SK_Mannequin - MESH File (.mesh). will not allow attachments of these , says SKYMAT not allowed and same with the skeletal FBX , says FBX not allowed. mesh file just don't do anything. thanks
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 03:37

additional info, so when I opened the asset manager this time on the left I see a skeletal mesh folder. if I left click it , a brown FBX thumbnail pops up in the asset manager window. it is "SK_Mannequin fbx". so I right click it and click add to resources and on the left , the icon next to the folder turns green , but that's it. again I try to prepare for skyline from resource manager and get runtime error again. tried with a tree from tree it creator , same error.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Feb 2018, 13:40

Thanks, Those logs are the right ones :)
We haven't tried setting or preparing anything directly on the desktop before.. unusual workflow lol :P

Have you tried putting the FBX files inside the "Asset Library" which is located along with the install directory and prepare from inside there rather than the desktop. I will look for the FBX file in question and see what happens on our side.

right I am running the lite version to see how it works before purchasing. at this point it don't

Understandable. It does sound like an incorrect workflow if using the desktop for preparing your assets from. Installing to the C Drive was correct.

One thing to try which will be changing in the next couple versions for better compatibility is to delete the file at:
"C:\Users\$(Username)\Documents\Aurasoft UK\Skyline Game Engine\UserSettings\AssetLibraryProfile00.ini" as this is where it holds the path to the user asset libraries..

Then when you load skyline again, it will regenerate and locate to the C Drive version..
Place the files you are trying to prepare into the asset library, then open the asset manager inside skyline and use the prepare on your folder inside the asset manager.

Note, that when preparing, it is best to do the parent folder of the models and not the entire directory as this will prepare other things unnecessarily.

See how that goes.. and if possible to speed things up, please send me the SK_Mannequin.fbx either on here or through pm.
I will then be able to test myself quicker. :)

Best Regards :D and again, we are sorry for the problems you are experiencing..

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Feb 2018, 13:45

Edit: The crash is because of this error:

Cannot locate resource fbx-EB-112.skeleton in resource group Scene or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at E:\00_Skyline Integrations\Ogre3D SDK\Source\v2-1\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 790)

For this, open skyline, Go to the main menu > File > Editor Properties. A new window should appear.
On the last tab, click the plus button to add a new library, then add your:
C:/Users/raz/Desktop/GAME ENGINES AND ASSETS/
folder.

This will make sure skyline knows of the library.
Next open the asset manager and navigate to "GAME ENGINES AND ASSETS" and Add the folder to resources from the right click. Please note, that there was a potential bug in the right click which is being fixed on development version ... the best way, is to just click on the folders manually.

This error is all due to a resource linking potentially caused bu the desktop even though i suspect it should be fine as it has a valid path.

If you do all the things i have mentioned in these posts, then hopefully it will start to work..
Also, there will be a new version released today hopefully :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Feb 2018, 14:52

The other thing to try, is directly drag the FBX file into the scene view from the asset manager and see if this works.

Edit: Also, it might be best to wait for the new version to be released later today :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 16:24

I will give these things a try will let you know. it is just morning here. thanks
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 17:12

that was interesting ,I dragged it into the asset library , tried to prepare , got same error. skyline shutdown. after dragging it in , the folder icon was not green like the other library assets. after error and reopening , it was green. tried to prepare same error. this time when I left click folder I get 4 thumbnails. one is the FBX , one is a mesh and two are materials. so I dragged the FBX into a scene and he popped in there as a 50 foot tall giant laying down , I rotated him upright and saved scene so far.his black material is not on him , he is just a plain mesh. is there a way to attach this FBX file on PM. I didn't see an option there. thanks
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Feb 2018, 18:03

Ok, you should be able to add attachments to pm's now.
Also regarding the prepare, do you use it from the Right click or the drill icon on the main toolbar in the asset manager
As the right click context menu is not working on the folder tree and we are working on an update today that should fix it which will be released for all versions of skyline.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 18:09

I guess it was right click, didn't know there was a drill icon, ill try.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 18:12

no matter where I try to attach the FBX file , it says FBX extension not allowed. I can attach it in my yahoo email. I tested it there.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Next

Return to Mesh + Animation