This is where you can introduce yourself to the community, introduce your projects and what you plan to do with skyline. You can share as much or as little info as you wish.

My Introduction

My Introduction

Postby Zethael » 15 Apr 2019, 17:21

Hi,
i'm Alex (24) and i'm coming from germany. I've used Blender for some time now and i was looking for a nice game engine, where i can put my 3D models for games. I know skyline's website for 2-3 years now and i'm installing the game engine at this moment. I never had the chance to try skyline because i only have low spec computers, but i watched the videos on the site and i really want to use it, because of it's professional interface and they functions.
I've used 001 Game Creator and RPG Maker (versions: MV, XP and 2003) alot, but i think skyline is better for me to use, because i really like 3D and Blender ;)
I'll try skyline engine on my computer and i hope, this will work. I have 4 GB ram (ddr3), a dual core i3 processor (2,5 ghz) and an old graphics card (nvidia gt 320 with 1 gb).
I already read the news and plans of the future of skyline.
Anyway, i want to say great work, the videos i've seen are nice!
See you later.
Greetings
Zethael (Alex)
Zethael
Skyline Novice

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Animator

Re: My Introduction

Postby SolarPortal » 15 Apr 2019, 19:00

Hi Alex,
Thanks for reaching out, Skyline is currently going through a major refactor which is why there hasn't been a public release in some time now, but please note that the next version will be even more accepting of low end computers as you will be able to disable all the high intensity GPU effects essentially giving a bare bones renderer that can run magnitudes faster than skyline straight out of the box.

This should only be another few weeks away :)

As for 3D models, if you are open to selling or providing assets for the engine, then you can either sign up as a seller and start selling today or assets provided for the engine will result in either a percentage of the sale of a pro version or if equal exchange could be a free license :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby Zethael » 15 Apr 2019, 20:20

Hi SolarPortal,
that's a good idea. I was using Blender 2.79b, but now i need to switch to the new 2.8 beta. I need to learn the new User Interface, but that can be quick. The reason why i'm using 2.8 beta now is that this will be the future. Therefore i will need the time to learn it.
I have a question for this by the way. Maybe you can give me that information? ;)
What count of polygons can i use for skyline? I heard that unreal engine takes 15000 polys for a character, but skyline is of course not unreal, so i need to know that for these kind of objects:
Houses, Characters, Environments, Vehicles, Weapons and Terrains.
Thank you for the informations and welcome me :)
Edit: I have tried Skyline, but it's very laggy on my computer. The good thing is that i know now, it's a really good game engine and i like it really much. I'll try to get a new device in the next time. In this time i will learn Blender 2.8.
Zethael
Skyline Novice

Postby StarFire » 15 Apr 2019, 21:33

Hi Zethael,

I personally love the new 2.8 blender, much nicer workflow.

A rule of thumb with any game asset is only use the polys that are required. Less is always more.
But if you need detail for a static model you can go very high but for a close up real time model you could get away with 10-20k but the engine can manage much much more.
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby cassius_b » 16 Apr 2019, 00:08

I adree about blender 2.8, its a great improvement.
Nice to see newcomers to the engine. Good luck.
cassius_b
Skyline Ensen

Postby Zethael » 16 Apr 2019, 16:17

Hey StarFire and cassius_b,
yes, the new interface of blender 2.8 is really nice, i can confirm that. It just takes a little time to find the old functions and use it like in the older versions. Let's see how much time i need ;)
Edit: I just found the searching tools for the spacebar. That's a good step to get started with the new UI and much hotkeys are the same.
Zethael
Skyline Novice

Postby epsilonion » 17 Apr 2019, 18:28

Welcome Zethael, its great to see new faces around here... :P
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Postby cassius_b » 19 Apr 2019, 14:02

As a novice blender user I have always found the "undo" function to be VERY usefull. :)
cassius_b
Skyline Ensen

Postby Zethael » 22 Apr 2019, 17:59

Hi,
learn Blender 2.8 Beta from the last stable version goes really fast, i'm now familiar with the most tools i learned - and Eevee rendering runs fast, too.
I think i will use VRoid Studio for my characters, and then modify them in Blender for new clothes or armors and weapons. As far as i know, VRoid Studio is completely free to use, and the results are great especially for hair design. This software can export the modeled hairs as quads in wavefront format, and hair design is really fast in it.
I needed to use an addon for blender, to import my .glb file. VRoid does only export a made character to .vrm, but i think it's the same like .glb when you rename it.
If you want to visit the site, it's japanese i think, so you will need to translate it: https://studio.vroid.com/
By the way, cloth modeling in Blender is a really nice task ;)
And thanks epsilonion for welcome me.

Edit: I just want to add that i already know MB-Lab and Makehuman, but for me is VRoid the best in this moment.
Zethael
Skyline Novice

Return to Introduce Yourself