Help with your scripting

Skyline abilities - help pls

Skyline abilities - help pls

Postby Robo25 » 23 Sep 2019, 11:35

I just seen Skyline and need to know a few things about it before using - does it:

1. allow changes to weather events during runtime from code - ie not just start and stop storms, but change the parameters of the storm during runtime also from code.

2. access to time of day and able to use that time to link to events in the game

3. able to speed up time with sun rotation etc when needed like sleeping etc

4. does it has an inventory system to use or do you need to code that yourself ?

5. able to separate rain effects from inside or underneath a building ?

Thanks for anyone in advance for answering my questions.
Robo25
Skyline Novice

Re: Skyline abilities - help pls

Postby SolarPortal » 23 Sep 2019, 11:47

Weather system is one of those things in the works.
however we do have a tod system and use it to turn lights on or off depending on whether its night or day, so the same things could be used to for anything else.

Yes you will be able to speed up the rotation of the sun for passing time etc...

Skyline is currently undergoing a major engine change for v2, but unfortunately it has been delayed due to it only being developed by 2 people in a family run business and currently we have life changing events at home.. this is not to say the engine is no longer being developed, but instead it is just slower.

inventory system is also being developed alongside an entire player code for tp or fp. Its easy enough to make roll your own though.

Thanks for posting and appreciate you coming to the forums. Have a great day! :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby epsilonion » 26 Sep 2019, 18:00

Hi welcome to the forum.
I will do my best to answer your questions.

1. allow changes to weather events during runtime from code - ie not just start and stop storms, but change the parameters of the storm during runtime also from code.

Yes from LUA using the time of day function, you can also set the multiplier for the day and night cycle speed etc etc and in your code you can change the variables when you want to.

2. access to time of day and able to use that time to link to events in the game

Yes, you can access it via code, for example on 7pm the lights in a scene turn on and say 6am they turn off but the lights have to be registered (so to speak) to turn on and off at these times.

Code: Select all
To register the lights:
int entity.registerTodEven(objectIDNumber);

To remove the light from the TOD system
entity.removeRegisteredTodEvent(objectIDNumber);

From API
Environment: https://api.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/classenv.html

Talking about weather patterns you could have the weather change on a random time or at say midnight in code, days and months for seasons would be easy to code counting the days that pass in the day/night cycle and 30 days equal a month so on and so on.

3. able to speed up time with sun rotation etc when needed like sleeping etc
hehehe I answered this above, yes the day/night cycle is controlled by a speed multiplier again this can by accessed via code.

Code: Select all
function onUpdate(td)
    env.setTOD_TimeMultiplier(2); -- run at 2x speed.
    env.setTOD_Time(12); -- midday , sun rises at 6 and goes down at 10
end

4. does it has an inventory system to use or do you need to code that yourself ?
The Dev's are currently working on a inventory system but you could also write your own using the GUI editor to lay it out and the lua hooks to code the image change and mouse trap etc etc,

5. able to separate rain effects from inside or underneath a building ?
This has been talked about not long ago and having a volume/plane that would kull the particles, I believe this is on the to do list for the dev's they would have to speak more about this.

for weather you could use the following API hooks:
Fog: https://api.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/classscene.html
Particles: https://api.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/classparticle.html
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Postby Robo25 » 15 Oct 2019, 11:09

sound great thanks.
I'm currently using CopperCube6 and the Skyline weather system looks a lot better (main part of my game).

CopperCube6 only lets you turn weather effects on and off, not adjust anything other than that during runtime so bit limited.
I had to code my own time of day in that but according to what you have shown you already have that setup and linked to weather systems in game. The actual 24 hr time can be found via the functions you mentioned so great..

Last few questions: can the parameters of the weather selected be changed during runtime - ie increase storm ferocity over time or is it also just turn on or off once setup ?
Do you have the ability to adjust separate sound effects volume during runtime ? or is it fixed in game once setup apart from system volume ?

thanks again..
Robo25
Skyline Novice

Postby epsilonion » 16 Oct 2019, 13:03

Glad I can help, I am on my way out so this will be short (without examples) if you need some I can provide them when I get back in.

Last few questions: can the parameters of the weather selected be changed during runtime - ie increase storm ferocity over time or is it also just turn on or off once setup ?
Do you have the ability to adjust separate sound effects volume during runtime ? or is it fixed in game once setup apart from system volume ?

The weather can be changed at whatever time you like, its controlled by lua like particles for rain can be increased etc.
The volumetric clouds feature is due to make a comeback and when it is back has quite a few options that are accessible via lua also, this makes a huge difference when it comes to overcast or stormy conditions etc because the clouds are rendered below the skybox and looks like there are to layers of cloud (old version) where once moves faster than the other (again you can adjust the multiplier to gain or lose speed) but thats due to make a come back soon I hope.

Sound can be raised via lua so when a storm comes the sounds can be made louder (in your case), this again is all controlled via LUA.

Particle hooks - https://api.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/classparticle.html
in here you can create, delete, increase/decrease emitter speed, particle speed etc etc

Sound hooks - https://api.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/classsound.html
In here you can create 2D sounds or 3D sounds (one is directional the other plays all around at same volume), increase/decrease volume, set pitch, max distance etc etc.
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Return to Lua Scripting