Skyline developer news and other Skyline topics of interest

Bought Skyline Pro Today

Re: Bought Skyline Pro Today

Postby monkeyfrogstudio » 19 May 2020, 22:45

That's what I would hope to see ... the ability to sort of visually code a "base code" (several nodes strung together that do a job) that could be grouped into my own custom node that can then be re-used in various ways.

BTW - I think I already know the answer to this, but I suppose it's best to ask - does the visual coding system allow me to create a piece of code (say, like in the video, that opens/closes a door) and then I can use it multiple times with various doors, even if the door is different? So, if I have 10 different doors, can I attach visually code the door code once and apply it 10 times, tweaking it for each door as required?

Lastly, and somewhat related, does Skyline allow me to save prefabs (models, lights, and code, etc.) that can be saved as a single unit and brought into Skyline as needed? So, for example, could I create a door, door frame, attach the door code, and save that all out as a single prefab so I can re-use the door over and over again? I am assuming this is included (and may be what your GO objects are).
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3090 ti 24GB, Windows 11 64-bit, dual monitor display
monkeyfrogstudio
Skyline Master

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Postby monkeyfrogstudio » 19 May 2020, 22:47

BTW - Thanks, everyone, for taking the time out of your busy schedules to answer my questions. I am pretty excited about Skyline (it probably shows a little). I have a few game engines and have worked with a few in the past, but there is something about Skyline that gets me excited more so than the others. This is why I am very anxious for v2. ;)
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3090 ti 24GB, Windows 11 64-bit, dual monitor display
monkeyfrogstudio
Skyline Master

Postby StarFire » 19 May 2020, 23:21

Yes you can reuse the modules(Visual Coding) such as the door mechanic , multi times each can also have different properties.

Also yes to the prefab but we call them presets and the more advance system based Game objects. Both these types can contain models and attached action/modules/scripts for mechanics and can even have a special property Panel for individual customisation of the mechanics properties. The GO FPS Player is an example of this.
Now if it's for a modular structure all with various parts, eg a multi part wall model with a door and a an attached mechanic we can do this also as a preset.

Gen3 Skyline (V2) is hoped to be a huge jump forwards which I too am eager to see :)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer

Postby monkeyfrogstudio » 20 May 2020, 20:22

Will there be more model formats with the new version of Skyline? For example, what about GLTF 2.0 import support?
monkeyfrogstudio
Skyline Master

Postby SolarPortal » 21 May 2020, 00:09

possibly, it has been coming up on my research a bit, all depends on how much work it will take whether its already supported by a library we use or if we have to write a converter :) PBR export with all data sounds interesting though and i remember users in the past calling for it, but never had need of it with so many exporters and importers and skyline automates a lot of material work anyway which speeds up development :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby monkeyfrogstudio » 21 May 2020, 05:14

GLTF 2.0 is supported by a library (assimp, I believe - https://www.assimp.org/).

A few more links for you:
https://www.khronos.org/gltf/
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF

I really like GLTF for several reasons. You can import entire scenes (models, lights, materials, animations) in one go, if you want to. You could, technically, create an entire level in your 3D modeling program, export to GLTF, and then import to a game engine. The materials part is huge in that you can set up your PBR materials in your 3D modeling program of choice, export to GLTF 2.0, and then simply bring in the model or scene with all PBR materials displaying correctly in the engine. Most 3D engines support export to GLTF 2.0 or have an official plugin to allow export to it, so it is pretty widely supported. Game engines like Unity and Unreal have it for import, too. Other game engines I know are already adding it (I can add the names if you'd like to know about them).

I'd seriously take a look at the format. Unlike FBX, you won't have to pay Autodesk (or anyone) to use it in your engine. That's always a plus. ;)
monkeyfrogstudio
Skyline Master

Postby SolarPortal » 21 May 2020, 10:02

yeah, will definately take a look at it in the future when the job pile shrinks a bit and doesn't feel like i'm drowning in workload haha :P
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Previous

Return to Skyline General News