A place where the topic is related to content creation.

Great resource for human meshes

Great resource for human meshes

Postby necdel » 01 Jan 2013, 07:59

Hey guys, been a while since I posted anything. I have been going through some courses and learning animation and modeling some more. After toying around for so long and seeing how much work it takes to get a nice mesh and rig, I stumbled across this gem, Make Human.... I don't know why I have never seen it mentioned anywhere, but man is it awesome.

You can get it here, http://www.makehuman.org/

You can customize the mesh quite a bit inside the program, add clothing, hair, a few different mesh topologies with varying poly counts, all sorts of goodies. It is all CC0 license. I do not know about 3DS and the other programs you guys may use, but when exporting as a MHK file from it, you can select a few different rig's ( their own nice rig, rigify, and a few others). Blender has an addon that you just need to enable in the properties of blender to import the make human files. Then you have a nice mesh, fully rigged, and ready to animate.
necdel
Skyline Apprentice

Re: Great resource for human meshes

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 01 Jan 2013, 11:50

I have tried this before but they meshs are to high poly for games. Although the bases could be played around with.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby StarFire » 02 Jan 2013, 10:27

Very high res models, just had a quick look and there doesn't look like a way to reduce polly's.Although you can start with a lower polly base version, need to check it out.

We have had a few partial successes with getting characters from Daz Studio and the derez tool to reduce the polly count, but we need to experiment more with this.

There is also another character tool but I don't think it rigs the model. This is great for quickly generating a wide variety of creatures but is not free.
http://www.fxrsoft.com/
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby necdel » 05 Jan 2013, 08:18

Cool, from looking at Make Human, if you go under library, then proxies, there is a way to choose a few different base meshes that are lower poly count.

Trying to check out the FXR software thing, but page doesnt seem to be wanting to load.
necdel
Skyline Apprentice

Return to Content Creation