The place to post mesh,and animation related hints and problems.

Prepare Folder Options & Mesh Problems

Prepare Folder Options & Mesh Problems

Postby ozziedave » 25 Jan 2016, 00:23

Hi All, have read all of this forum, and found some answers. When I wish to change X Files into FBX files in the CONVERT ASSIMP
Section, have turned off CONVERT FBX FILES, I cannot turn the X Button on, it stays grayed, as do all the Buttons ?.

I am having some success converting Unity FBX Bone Animated Files but 60% end up distorted, that is straight from the Converter
with no size reduction, or any change by me. At first I thought that anything with Bones could not be used, but on reading this Forum I realised that Bones were OK. So I have distortion without any changes to the converted mesh. I must admit that the NPC's
were made for Unity.

Any Ideas.
ozziedave
Skyline Apprentice

Re: Prepare Folder Options & Mesh Problems

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 25 Jan 2016, 05:59

I use UU3D (Ultimate Unwrap 3D) to convert .x to .fbx...
http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx
It works well and does not cost an arm and a leg...

For the Unity .fbx files, I would try the Autodesk .fbx converter...
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909
You can just convert the .fbx to another .fbx...I have not tried this with Unity models, but have done it with models that I was having trouble with...Hope this helps...CO
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby ozziedave » 25 Jan 2016, 10:54

CreativeOcclusion, Thanks for your prompt reply, after the problems with Convert in Skyline I tried FragMotion X to FBX, after the conversion it seems to like Skyline a lot better, Skyline then converts the FragMotion FBX to a Mesh without distortion.
ozziedave
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 25 Jan 2016, 10:56

ahh, you responded before me.. ill post my reply anyway lol :P

When you get a distorted mesh and skeleton, try rebooting skyline as this can sometimes refresh the skeleton bones.
Most FBX files will convert without problems. If you think you have a mesh which makes the FBX converter fail, then we would be happy to take a look and see if there is an actual problem with our converter.

I know you mentioned non scaling, but when you do scale a mesh using the prepare, it will break the animations. It is best to convert it to mesh and use the mesh editor to do character scaling as it rescales the skeleton as well, but may end up with stretched bones in mesh editor, simply go to the main editor and refresh your character to get correct sized skeletons and animations again :)

The Prepare folder option does not have individual conversions atm, all assimp accepted files will be converted included .x, .dae, .obj, .lwo. We removed the animation conversion from assimp as it still has problems and was unsuccessful most of the time, but it works great for static meshes or ordinary meshes. For characters we recommend .FBX ( default workflow. ).

I always used fragmotion even if there license activation for their free version is silly in my opinion http://www.fragmosoft.com/. It imports .x and exports with .FBX quite accurately and stores all animation information. Make sure to sample the animations at the same rate though. I tend to use 30 frames as i think it sets it to 24 by default which is for TV.

Hope this helps :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Mesh + Animation