From NPC combat to path following and all AI related tasks.

Like to see more AI

Like to see more AI

Postby ozziedave » 25 Jan 2016, 00:41

Hi All, I think that the Skyline Engine is terrific for building great levels, but the AI leaves a lot to be desired, especially when you try your FPS Level, those bots seem to dance before they see the Player, and the game play is antique.

I guess you would have checked out other engines, I like Game Guru, the LUA for there NPC's is a couple of pages long, and though not perfect, the game play is presentable, RPG Code would also be a great addition to the game play.

I realise that engineering a complicated piece of software like Skyline takes a large amount of time, and only so much can be achieved over time. I think that AI is a very important factor in the success of any Game Maker. I always look at the AI to see if I can make a game with the software, as I am not very good at coding.

Keep up the good work.
ozziedave
Skyline Apprentice

Re: Like to see more AI

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 25 Jan 2016, 05:49

There are AI scripts in the asset library....Asset Library/scripts/combination script...TattieBoJangle has a "Adding AI" tutorial on his youtube site...You can see all his tutorials here...

https://www.youtube.com/user/TattieB0Jangles/videos

SkyLine is still a very young engine, but it gets regular updates and is getting better all the time..

Hope this helps...CO
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 25 Jan 2016, 11:03

We are also designing a new way of handling game related assets like AI, triggers that will be easy and presentable to a new user for getting up and running in their games. StarFire is handling the mechanics and still has many to do. The new weapons are also being created into the engine which will give a large variety to play with thanks to Tattie :)

Skyline is a game engine primarily and presents all the tools necessary to create your own mechanics, but we all understand that certain topics are harder than other lol :P

We have a selection of scripts which handle melee characters atm and the FPS Ork. There is also a TPS AI in development as well which should make it a bit more customizable than the Orks using the Dynamic Properties.
All the scripts in the "Asset Library/scripts/combination script" folder are customizable through the dynamic property and will also apply to any character. You must use the Animation Mapper to set up the animations of the character.

With visual modules being developed, we are trying to buildmodule blocks that anyone could put together to create a new character or AI, but as CreativeOcclusion mentions, we are in early days and a lot of features are still being developed. Updates are a little slower atm due to the Renderer Upgrade, but we have a couple of features to be developed in the back that will make it out before the next release :)

Q) What sort of more AI would you like to see?

For RPG, a user named Shando created a cool chat based plugin that is sold on the store for NPCs which could be coupled with a questing system.

Hope this makes sense and helps you :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby ozziedave » 29 Jan 2016, 02:23

Hi Solarportal, I would like to say that I like your software a lot, it has been well engineered. I have spent several days getting used to it. The PRESETS are a great Idea, and they will be the base for my RPG Game in the future, in fact I love using the Editor, as it is so easy to use.

This is the coding I would be happy to see in future versions of Skyline, not all AI Based though.

RPG
a non-player character (NPC) reputation system (a mechanism for dynamically managing NPCs' opinions of each other and of the player in order to influence the NPCs' actions)

accurate sensory model, allowing the AI actors to respond realistically to light and sounds.

Intelligent decisions, for example to find valid cover.

Quest & Inventory System - Spell System - Shop Inventory and Equipment - Crafting and Gathering

FPS
Intelligent decisions, for example for Enemies use cover very wisely, and employ suppressible fire and grenades.

basic cause and effect decisions; if you shoot something the enemy investigates, if you throw a grenade the enemy will flee.

The squad situation should affect the individuals, so certain enemies flee when their leader dies.

Enemies notably throwing back grenades or team-members responding to you bothering them.

Actors could have four variables: fear, anger, defensiveness, surprise. Each variable would have thresholds, and decay rates on a hidden variable.

Cheers
ozziedave
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 29 Jan 2016, 13:42

We are really happy that you are enjoying the engine, its ease of use is one of our main core features we are aiming for but presenting all the tools and power of a full game engine to create any style of game.

Thanks for your input as it is great to know where and what users expect fro the engine. All this sounds great and most of it is already part of the plans for the general Starting Kits for skyline, but it will take a while to develop these high levels of AI while developing the engine also. Once we have all these cool features though, it certainly will make a cool drag / drop to create a modern AAA game easily. :)

Just to note that StarFire is working with the modules to recreate the FPS Player which is going well and really showing how expandable the module system is to use.

Thanks again :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 06 Dec 2016, 13:58

I guess you would have checked out other engines, I like Game Guru, the LUA for there NPC's is a couple of pages long, and though not perfect, the game play is presentable, RPG Code would also be a great addition to the game play.

I agree, Gameguru is doing good for AI and covers and player detection (but it lacks Navmesh).
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: Scripter

Return to AI