From time to time we will inform the community of certain areas of Skyline Development. If we have decided to add a new features or new demos in development etc we will try to make a post in this topic.Feel free to leave your comments to help encourage out development team ; )

Skyline - Mesh Optimization Tools

Skyline - Mesh Optimization Tools

Postby SolarPortal » 15 Sep 2018, 19:43

Hey Everyone,
Hope your all doing great!

anyway, finally, a bit of news lol :P

As you may have heard, we have started work on the mesh optimisation side of skyline and have made some progress so far.
After many days trying to figure out why the merge stuff wasn't working for the optimisation, i managed to get a break through and have successfully merged a mesh that has 137 sub meshes into just 16. This is because all the sub meshes have been merged by the material they use.

Next is too look at auto atlasing a mesh's materials into a single texture or 2(depends on alpha) and then merge the subsequent sub meshes that then share those materials. The aim is to take a model and make it use as low as a single draw call to render the mesh. This is then effective on performance and ultimately will greatly boost the speed of some scenes. Muliply that by the fact skyline auto instances geometry and you could be looking at a 100 buildings rendered in a single draw call!! Well thats the dream haha :joy:
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Skyline - Mesh Optimization Tools

Postby cassius_b » 15 Sep 2018, 23:47

Thanks for info. Sounds good.
cassius_b
Skyline Ensen

Postby TattieBoJangle » 14 Jan 2019, 01:37

Can I ask if anything has come of this
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: Great creative

Postby SolarPortal » 14 Jan 2019, 12:39

yes, but its for the next update :P
From the next changelog:
Mesh Optimizer: You can now merge all submeshes that share the same material from the RMB context on the scene entity list for an entity.

Atlasing was proving harder to manage than expected due to the number of textures such as normal, spec, roughtness, metallic, albedo, displacement, ao, emissive, etc... lots to map..

so we are lookiing at alternate means of handling it but currently it is not a primary task.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Skyline Development