For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Need physics size adjusting and shortucts

Need physics size adjusting and shortucts

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 12:30

You can't adjust caspule height and diameter ?
Last edited by SpiderMack on 04 Dec 2016, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Scripter

Delete Actions key shortcut

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 12:35

Select entity Action or Lua in "Properties", press "Delete" key to remove the Action.
Faster, no need to open Action Editor :)
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Editor Camera quick views

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 13:00

Need to quickly access views like Unity do with gizmo Arrows and cube.
It's too long to adjust objects positions moving camera around left, right, top, front, back, down.

SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Re: Need physics size adjusting and shortucts

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Dec 2016, 13:07

That looks like a capsule rigidbody, for characters try adding a Simple Character controller action which has full adjustments.
If you use the Player character controller, then you can wander around with your character pretty quickly, but has limited options whereas the SCC is open ended by using scripting to expand what your character can do.
Use the character.library() in lua to control this action.

As for the action delete speedup... valid idea :D

Pointing a camera at a source is quite awkward, and we were going to add a handle to the camera which you could position to where you want to look.
As for the different angles like front, back, top, bottom, back.. This is similar to 3dsmax with their cube. We do have the options in the last block on the top right bar in the overlay of the scene, you can change between the different angles but is slow to get to, plus with the current camera errors, we are unsure if it would work as expected.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 13:18

As for the action delete speedup... valid idea

Good improvment :D

. This is similar to 3dsmax with their cube. We do have the options in the last block on the top right bar in the overlay of the scene, you can change between the different angles but is slow to get to, plus with the current camera errors, we are unsure if it would work as expected.

I does not work.
It moves far away from where camera initial position, we see nothing. Unity system is intuitive and very fast, no need to open menus and select a view, only click on axes or cube it's quick and awesome.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 13:26

That looks like a capsule rigidbody, for characters try adding a Simple Character controller action which has full adjustments.
If you use the Player character controller, then you can wander around with your character pretty quickly, but has limited options whereas the SCC is open ended by using scripting to expand what your character can do.

You have models and want to add Rigid body capsule physic to static models no characters. I can adjsut size, height in Unity.
In Skyline , i can't do it for capsule, box .
This is missing in editor changing sizes of rigidbody shapes :(
Must improve RigidBody editing in SKyline.
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Dec 2016, 13:31

The rigidbody action does not have adjustable sizes. what it does is takes the bounds and radius of the object and creates a hull based on that scale. This usually works fine for simpler shapes, but we can understand your issues with a capsule on a static object as we just gave it go.

May i ask what you trying to apply the capsule too mesh wise and why? These are times we usually just use convex hull or worse ........... mesh physics .. :shock: :shock: .. dun dun dun!!!!

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 13:35

You have some detailled model where shape looks like capsule, auto detect mesh size and bounds is not what you want sometimes, sometimes need to adjust manually and more precise capsule size and radius.
why can't override automatic size detection and tweak it manually for Rigid bodies ? don't make sense.

You need fast physics.

What is convex ? What it does ? Can we tell how many polygons we want for convex collision ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Dec 2016, 13:44

What you are showing there is what is known as compound shapes where you use multiple shapes to create one physics actor.
We have been wanting an editor for this for ages, but it has been a low priority as many didnt need it for their purposes.
Again, it can be added to the list and planned into the dev cycle.

Convex hull will wrap the object in the lowest polys possible but as the name suggests, it can only create faces that are convexed on the model and will skip all concaved surfaces.

The link you gave me yesterday to the mesh decomposition shows an example of the convex hull physics compared to the mesh decomp.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 13:49

We have been wanting an editor for this for ages, but it has been a low priority as many didnt need it for their purposes.

Low priority ? Kidding ? It's base of gameplay for games, UDK twenty years go do it.
No need editor, just let us add several RigidBody to models, they are on properties,
This is how Unity do for compound, you need to let us adjust rigid body sizes manually.

The link you gave me yesterday to the mesh decomposition shows an example of the convex hull physics compared to the mesh decomp.

Api is good for complex shapes you don't want to manually make compounds.
Api has also usefull convex shape making like
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Dec 2016, 14:04

When we mean low priority, we mean that our userbase has not required it as most of modders/ hobbyists that enjoy working the software and the simple physics is all they have needed up til now. However, it doesnt mean the feature you suggest is not important for full game design,just that is hasnt been required yet! :D

leave it with us and we will see what we can do :D

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 14:12

When we mean low priority, we mean that our userbase has not required it as most of modders/ hobbyists that enjoy working the software and the simple physics is all they have needed up til now

Because user base is too small until Skyline is sold on Steam
Because user base just use examples

Because user base don't make custom games from scratch and wit you give them 3D models and more scripts and samples ready to use. It's awesome for beginners starter games.
But for experienced users, need full physics controlls and adjusting.

Skyline is for hobby only, or real game engine ? Go to steam with robust intuitive workflow, Unity users will buy Skyline :)

see what we can do

Kidding ? Not a game engine if we can't change rigidBody sizes, Physix Api is open , why so hard to add in editor sizes for shapes editing ?
Terrain , graphics is after solid gameplay physics with intuitive editor :) .
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Dec 2016, 16:19

Kidding ? Not a game engine if we can't change rigidBody sizes, Physix Api is open , why so hard to add in editor sizes for shapes editing ?
Terrain , graphics is after solid gameplay physics with intuitive editor :) .

When we say, we will see what we can do ... this means it will be done and can be done but may not make it into the editor fast because there are simply so many jobs to do and only 2 of us too do them lol :P

We agree with you that there needs to be a way of adjusting physics and using more rigidbodies.

Skyline is not just for hobby development but is the main market we aim at as i mentioned before the pro markets are already saturated with pro top engines.

May i ask why you aren't using these other engine and have come to skyline? What is it about them that you don't like?

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SpiderMack » 04 Dec 2016, 16:45

30 minutes to tweak manually values and test a character physix capsule collider in Skyline, 1 minute in Unity workflow to get it right.
3:40 collison edit

SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby planetX » 04 Dec 2016, 19:22

SpiderMack wrote:30 minutes to tweak manually values and test a character physix capsule collider in Skyline, 1 minute in Unity workflow to get it right.
3:40 collison edit
[youtube=]ZHA7fzWPk5U[/youtube]

Well, that was your choice to spend 30 minutes in something that is not necessary. It took to me 5 minutes to get my own characters fully working in the engine. Just follow this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFuKBje ... rIkOOv2Vju

Hope it helps.

My specs: Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz - 16 Gb ram DDR4 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 Gb

planetX
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Skill: Great creative

Postby TattieBoJangle » 04 Dec 2016, 19:40

A lot of it is just taking your time and getting to know the engine as you can get a character in and fully working in a few min ;)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby epsilonion » 04 Dec 2016, 21:17

I have to agree with the guys on this one, a few mins is all that is needed to get a character in and tweaked but then again I am used to the work flow.
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Return to Feature Requests